Sell me on compact cranks

some people are running crazy gearing ITT ATMO LOL KFC

but i guess it depends where you live and what the bikes is used for

[quote=kmcdon3960]I’d say about 18 is normal for me on the old flat delaware roads.

It’s not too windy around here either.[/quote]

Downshift and spin more.

Also of note is that 110BCD is useful and has been around forever. However, the concept of “compact” front gearing was used successfully in racing with an 11-21 straight block, IIRC. The benefit was that the lower 34t chainring precluded the need for a widely spaced cassette.

How bad is that double shift, though? I do it all the time with my DT shifters and it’s a non-event, I really don’t even think about it. Maybe it helps that I have a reverse-rise rear derailleur, I dunno, but it’s pretty darn simple. Not quite as simple as on the bike with Campy Daytona, but damn near as close.

I must be doing it wrong: I use both my chainrings all the time. I can really feel the difference in effort/results when I get more than 1.5" or so of crosschain, so I just shift back and forth and try to keep things nice and straight. Seems to be working for me, but ITT I’m beginning to feel wimpy for not just sticking it out in my big ring all the time? Mostly just spinning around 80-90rpm though. Hmmm… :colbert:

You’re doing it right, actually. Shifting the front is hard on climbs, though which shouldn’t be much of an issue. Also, front mech shifts take longer than rear mech shifts, which matter if you’re racing.

when in 34, i can only use 6 of 9 gears in the back with out the chain rubbing on the 50t chainring. i think a 36t would work well and still give me a good climing gear. hopefully that would allow me to use more of the gears in the back to cruise with

why is it rubbing?

it’s rubbing in the 11/12/13 cogs. the chain hits the pick up teeth on on the big ring and tries to shift up

you should use a 10sp chain… or shim your inner ring

I’m not a genius nor an expert, but: I don’t know if that solution (36T inner ring) will solve the problem you’re having. The required angle between the inner chainring and the outer gears on the cassette should be the same regardless of the size of the chainrings (unless I’m seriously stupid). Seems more like a longer BB spindle, a smaller outer chainring, or maybe more dish on rear wheel (to pull the hub and thus cassette inwards) would be preferred?

I’m not a genius nor an expert, but: I don’t know if that solution (36T inner ring) will solve the problem you’re having. The required angle between the inner chainring and the outer gears on the cassette should be the same regardless of the size of the chainrings (unless I’m seriously stupid). Seems more like a longer BB spindle, a smaller outer chainring, or maybe more dish on rear wheel (to pull the hub and thus cassette inwards) would be preferred?[/quote]

Nah, he’s right.

I get it now! LOL Failure of internal 3D visualization engine.

I run 50X34 and 11-32. Friction shifters, so I rarely know what gears I am in. Works great for me, Oh, I mainly climb.

lighter than triple, same advantages as triple and double.

This. A compact crankset can definitely be annoying if you like to cruise around on a 39t ring most of the time.[/quote]
but yea^

I call them “Fat Man’s Double” LOL

This is why I run them, of course :bear:

^Nice.

i’m riding a compact with a 11-25 atm. goes uphill great and anytime I might be missing the top end it’s probably faster to tuck and coast anyway

im pretty sure 50x11 is faster than 53x12
if not faster, than its really close

im sick, and too tired to look it up.
im gunna go make soup

[quote=GRHebear]im pretty sure 50x11 is faster than 53x12
if not faster, than its really close[/quote]

Pretty much the same.

For all you folks saying “it goes up hills fine” you’re lacking two crucial points of information, your fitness, and your body weight.

I am running a 53/39 with a 13 -23 8 speed cassette on the Bianchi and I love it. The Chupacabra (Novara) has a 50/34 11-26 9 speed. I much prefer the 53/39 8 speed over the 50/34 set up. On the Bianchi I feel like I am always in the right gear. On the Chupacabra I constantly feel like I am trying to find the right gear. I don’t think this is just that the Bianchi is a much nicer bike, though this could be a bigger factor than I realize. Maybe it has something to do the the width of the tires (23s vs 28s). Like Scrub said it is pretty hilly around here and I think both setups work fine for me.