SHARTQ'S

You ain’t getting a lot of heat in your rims doing cross, and shitty brakes were pretty much the rule until disc brakes.

Which is absolutely different than a rainy gritty road ride. I don’t know where whatever newguy lives but in my part of the world you can burn through a set of brake pads on a rainy 8-hour day. That’s not hyperbole, I’ve done it more than once.

So set that against carbon rims. It all depends on your environment. Both the natural and what you choose to do with it. If you don’t ride on rainy days? Sure, go for it. Do you live in pancake flat territory? Yeah definitely. But if you ride elevation (which if you’re buying carbon rims to ride cornfields go fuck yourself) and ride rain or shine you might want to rethink carbon rim brake hoops.

Ding ding ding. Heat buildup on the road on a long descent is a completely different beast. While the ride feel is nice and the whoosh whoosh enjoyable, it’s not a pleasant experience having a sidewall partially explode while descending Mt Hamilton.

hehehe, two bay area people swoop in to preach about 9 mile rainy descents.

Carbon rims would make a lot more sense if you didn’t fuck up and buy a rim brake bike in 2018.

Dunno. I’ve survived quite a while riding CF rim brake rims in hilly conditions and lots of gravel. We don’t have any 9-mile descents here, but we do have plenty of 2-3 mile drops with sections that are steep enough to terrify.

That said, I do modify my behavior when I’m on the Enve rims–on extended descents I brake hard for a few seconds and then let her rip, repeating as necessary. And I use butyl tubes.

Has anyone actually used the Onyx RP hubs Fred was talking about? I’m going to build a tubeless wheelset and was considering those. I’m told that Onyx is impossible to contact or order from but I haven’t tried yet.

You might want to get in touch with my buddy Justin Bagnati. He’s built a bunch of bikes with Onyx stuff and could definitely order you some if you have trouble. justin@blackoakvelo.com

He’s on the CT shore near Greenwich but shipping won’t be a problem. In fact you might just want him to do all this PITA bike crap for you. He’s really good at building up expensive bikes.

Yeah I get how silly that sounds. Definitely can’t and wouldn’t ever try to comment on the “rainy” portion, but figured if a light guy like me can toast a tubular rim while using quality pads in the very-much-non-inclement hills of San Jose it’s worth noting.

To be fair the braking feel and performance on the Enve clinchers were much more confidence inspiring, and I’m all in for crabon rims for cross/mtb

Third Bay Area person chiming in.

The amount of blown up Enve’s I’ve dealt with in the last four months at the new shop is mind blowing, even with the ‘new’ brake surface. That stuff is hot garbage.

Reynolds and Zipps only, please.

3849 foot descent in 9 miles isn’t good for carbon rim brakes…

Don’t know where you’re getting your info, but they’ve been nothing but great to deal with. Their hubs may be heavier, but nothing rolls as well as those things. So. Smooth.

My personal experience was Onyx taking forever responding to my inquiry, making me look bad to a customer.

Phone calls are magically effective forms of communication

As someone who has done customer support for an bicycle equipment manufacturer: if you’re a shop, call first, call often. If they don’t answer, call again.

Emails are important, but business hours and email received rates do not often align and a ringing phone is always more important than the 30th email response that day.

[quote=eric_ssucks]As someone who has done customer support for an bicycle equipment manufacturer: if you’re a shop, call first, call often. If they don’t answer, call again.

Emails are important, but business hours and email received rates do not often align and a ringing phone is always more important than the 30th email response that day.[/quote]

That being said, the owner of my new shop is always blown away how quickly I resolve warranty issues/manufacturer issues. And talking to a human you can carry some friendly banter while searching for part numbers or whatnot, so they’re usually the first to offer some parts for labor compensation etc.

Guess the previous service manager only emailed? I don’t know?

My information comes from a well-known frame/wheelbuilder…someone who they would presumably want to be associated with. He says they are tough to order from by any means.

I’m going to make the effort to get some, but it sounds like some of you have actually ridden them? How are they? Has anyone tried them on a road biek?

[quote=eric_ssucks]As someone who has done customer support for an bicycle equipment manufacturer: if you’re a shop, call first, call often. If they don’t answer, call again.

Emails are important, but business hours and email received rates do not often align and a ringing phone is always more important than the 30th email response that day.[/quote]

Why why why are bicycle-based businesses often so incompetent at, you know, business?

[quote=Recumbentist]My information comes from a well-known frame/wheelbuilder…someone who they would presumably want to be associated with. He says they are tough to order from by any means.

I’m going to make the effort to get some, but it sounds like some of you have actually ridden them? How are they? Has anyone tried them on a road biek?[/quote]

Have this ‘builder’ aka Rob English call them. If not, I’ll call them for you.

They are worth buying. The bearing quality and overall build quality puts all of the MUSA brands to shame. The engagement is instant and somewhat ‘soft’ in feel because you’re accustomed to a hard engagement of a pawl/ratchet mechanism.

Here’s a quick video comparing a ‘fast hub’ with the Onyx. The Onyx simply doesn’t slow down due to drag and having ridden the bike in the parking lot it’s noticeable.

[quote=Recumbentist][quote=eric_ssucks]As someone who has done customer support for an bicycle equipment manufacturer: if you’re a shop, call first, call often. If they don’t answer, call again.

Why why why are bicycle-based businesses often so incompetent at, you know, business?[/quote]

Because most bike businesses hire burnt out addict mechanics or ‘service managers’.

[quote=motorbacon][quote=Recumbentist]My information comes from a well-known frame/wheelbuilder…someone who they would presumably want to be associated with. He says they are tough to order from by any means.

I’m going to make the effort to get some, but it sounds like some of you have actually ridden them? How are they? Has anyone tried them on a road biek?[/quote]

Have this ‘builder’ aka Rob English call them. If not, I’ll call them for you.

They are worth buying. The bearing quality and overall build quality puts all of the MUSA brands to shame. The engagement is instant and somewhat ‘soft’ in feel because you’re accustomed to a hard engagement of a pawl/ratchet mechanism.

Here’s a quick video comparing a ‘fast hub’ with the Onyx. The Onyx simply doesn’t slow down due to drag and having ridden the bike in the parking lot it’s noticeable.

No, not Rob. But you do realize that I didn’t use a name deliberately, right?