SHARTQ'S

I got a similar weird sound when braking with my spyres, changes the rotors to ice techs and now they are quiet and effective. I did the same resin pads as you linked to as well.

The Hayes CX are good as long as you use compressionless housing. I thought they were complete shit until I redid them with the right housing. Now they are quite good.

Does anyone make a short reach non-recessed road front brake caliper? Coworker needs one for some old bike. I thought tektro made one, but I’m only seeing mid and long reach. Mid might fit but would be close to running out of pad adjustment.

Obviously there’s something at some co-op, but helping him choose a brake at a co-op is more effort than I really wanted to commit to this.

it’s possible to make that happen

but drilling out the back of the fork crown is so trivial

Yeah, I’ll probably tell him to do that, was just wondering if a brake existed.

Is it possible to hook a Shimano M7000 lever up to a RS805 caliper? They use BH90 and BH59 hose kits, respectively. I think I’m reading that I can use a BH90 fitting on one end and a BH59 on the other and be good to go… can anyone confirm?

Tho it looks like the R8070 uses BH90 so maybe I should just do that.

Has anyone tried one of these guys, yet?

I think that’s the same one i had. Would not recommend.

Though it was quite light, this happened literally JRA seated climbing up a small rise.

I am not a man of great substance.

Edit: on closer inspection, the head looks different, so maybe not the same manufacturer. Still, the experience was enough to scare me off of suspiciously cheap ebay carbon.

Definitely a different post, but I understand your sentiment.

I have that post on my NFE now. I was going to pull it off and put it on another bike, when I discovered that the slit in the NFE’s frame has caused a small stress riser. FWIW, I have a few thousand miles on two Bontrager knock-offs (that style post) and they’ve both been great. I’ve special ordered a Velo Orange post that is going to live on the NFE now. I’m not very risk-averse when it comes to bike components, but I think I can reasonably assume that an aluminum post will not fail in the same way, but probably any carbon post would.

Interested to hear. This post will probably be my next

[quote=deadforkinglast]Does anyone make a short reach non-recessed road front brake caliper? Coworker needs one for some old bike. I thought tektro made one, but I’m only seeing mid and long reach. Mid might fit but would be close to running out of pad adjustment.

Obviously there’s something at some co-op, but helping him choose a brake at a co-op is more effort than I really wanted to commit to this.[/quote]
just drill it out.

Is there a place to buy hexlox online shipped from the US?

[quote=belopsky][quote=deadforkinglast]Does anyone make a short reach non-recessed road front brake caliper? Coworker needs one for some old bike. I thought tektro made one, but I’m only seeing mid and long reach. Mid might fit but would be close to running out of pad adjustment.

Obviously there’s something at some co-op, but helping him choose a brake at a co-op is more effort than I really wanted to commit to this.[/quote]
just drill it out.[/quote]
If it were my bike, this would be done.

[quote=ICU81MI]I think that’s the same one i had. Would not recommend.

Though it was quite light, this happened literally JRA seated climbing up a small rise.

I am not a man of great substance.

Edit: on closer inspection, the head looks different, so maybe not the same manufacturer. Still, the experience was enough to scare me off of suspiciously cheap ebay carbon.[/quote]

I have a SCEC on the Telekom and I’ve always been wary of it. JRA one day I hit a bump and heard a scary-loud crack and could never find the source, but after seeing that Australian guy who diagnoses and fixes carbon things talk about what a bad idea it is to put a carbon post in a seat tube not intended for such, I pulled it and found the stress risers that come from a rear slit. It would happen on any carbon post, from any brand. Luckily the cops found my Zero-Uno that had my beloved Ultegra post still in it, so that’s going in whenever I ride that bike again.

FWIW, the carbon post seemed pretty great and I bet if I’d put it in my bike with a front facing slit it would have held forever.

Stress riser? So you’re saying the slot fretted or wore a vertical groove into the post or something?

Maybe I’m using improper terminology, but the top points of slit cut in the back of the ST will eventually push into the carbon. Not to mention that older steel frames clamp in a way that carbon doesn’t like either.

[quote=aek]Maybe I’m using improper terminology, but the top points of slit cut in the back of the ST will eventually push into the carbon. Not to mention that older steel frames clamp in a way that carbon doesn’t like either.

[/quote]
Well, all those posts were marked by the seat clamp, but not a single one of them broke. It’d take a carbon expert to say how dangerous that sort of surface denting/wear is. My guess is it’s not serious. In any case, I guess I will round off the edge of the slit at the clamp with a file or sandpaper if I use a carpet fiber chairpole in the future.

the problem is the brazed-on seatpost bolt threads, it can’t clamp roundly or evenly

a two-part binder bolt is better, especially the rivendell style with a floating M6 nut

but an independent slip-on collar with a floating barrel nut is the only right answer

So dq, that means a modern steel frame with a rear facing slit but separate clamp is fine for carbon posts???

if you use a nice clamp

and there aren’t any burrs or distortions