SHARTQ'S

In what scenario are you get hand pains/numbness?[/quote]
Pretty much any road ride over 20 miles, but particularly on rougher surfaces. I’ve had it with two different frame and fork combinations, both carbon blade with aluminum steerers (same bars, fwiw). The pain isn’t constant or anything, but some surfaces just feel jarring and it accumulates as general fatigue in my hands and arms. The feeling reminds me of when I had an IRO(!) with a fully aluminum fork that just felt terrible to ride, like I could feel the road vibration in detail. That’s why I’m speculating about the aluminum steerer.

Why are you putting a rear rack on a grando?

I tried it on mine, it HATED it. Heel strike city. Bike’s meant for a front load. Rear load gives the bike a big time wobble.

Giant rear panniers on the front though, now that’s good to go.

Pretty much any road ride over 20 miles, but particularly on rougher surfaces. I’ve had it with two different frame and fork combinations, both carbon blade with aluminum steerers (same bars, fwiw). The pain isn’t constant or anything, but some surfaces just feel jarring and it accumulates as general fatigue in my hands and arms. The feeling reminds me of when I had an IRO(!) with a fully aluminum fork that just felt terrible to ride, like I could feel the road vibration in detail. That’s why I’m speculating about the aluminum steerer.[/quote]
Ok. Gotcha. I don’t think I can help sorry. I recently pretty much proved a link with stress with my own numbness issues. It doesn’t sound like your problem. Do you get it on steel forked bikes at all?

Pretty much any road ride over 20 miles, but particularly on rougher surfaces. I’ve had it with two different frame and fork combinations, both carbon blade with aluminum steerers (same bars, fwiw). The pain isn’t constant or anything, but some surfaces just feel jarring and it accumulates as general fatigue in my hands and arms. The feeling reminds me of when I had an IRO(!) with a fully aluminum fork that just felt terrible to ride, like I could feel the road vibration in detail. That’s why I’m speculating about the aluminum steerer.[/quote]
Ok. Gotcha. I don’t think I can help sorry. I recently pretty much proved a link with stress with my own numbness issues. It doesn’t sound like your problem. Do you get it on steel forked bikes at all?[/quote]
Steel forks tend to feel better for me, but there might be other variables that contribute. My steel fork bikes have larger tires and I generally use them for shorter trips.

That’s because all the regular racks are basically fine. Personally, after having installed countless thousands of all types, I prefer some variant of the Bontrager BackRack. It’s easily the cleanest, and the tubular stays definitely means the rack sways less under load, especially if it’s cantilevered far out. Trek even makes the Bontrager racks in different sizes to accommodate smaller bikes.[/quote]

super easy to install too. my only beef is that if you have bungee style panniers and you get the deluxe, the bottom bungee holes are obscured by a tube so it’s a bit harder to get the pannier on and off.

I tried it on mine, it HATED it. Heel strike city. Bike’s meant for a front load. Rear load gives the bike a big time wobble.

Giant rear panniers on the front though, now that’s good to go.[/quote]
yeah that

if you just want to support a stuffsack on top, canti-post handlebar bag racks fit on the rear too

When flushing old frozen Shimano shifters w WD40 to get theM working again, do you chase w grease?

I never have, but that may not be the correct answer.

i’ve typically stuck with a lighter lube after a flush

Flush with clean streak, hit it with compressed air then flood with tri flow.

I usually take the cover off and get the pawl moving again with a tiny flat head screwdriver or similar

Thanks, dudes!

This

90’s MTB basketbike chat
what’s a good set of cantis to freshen it up with?
are all 7s trigger shifters the same? (replacing grip shift)
any good supple non-compass fat slick tire options?

[quote=Lowrey’sOrgan]90’s MTB basketbike chat
any good supple non-compass fat slick tire options?[/quote]

1. V-brakes
  2. idk, i’d be using a parts bin friction shifter for this
  3. Tioga powerblocks were the fav when I built up a basketbike – any new ones that are good?

[quote=joy of vaping][quote=Lowrey’sOrgan]90’s MTB basketbike chat

1. V-brakes
  3. Tioga powerblocks were the fav when I built up a basketbike – any new ones that are good?[/quote]

Truth. Sunrace $5 thumbies if you dont have anything in your bin.

Good question, it will be carrying one pannier, sometimes fairly loaded, and I figure handling will be less strange with that on the rear than the front. This is for my wife so I’m being more conservative with these decisions than I normally would be.

[quote=johnasavoia][quote=joy of vaping][quote=Lowrey’sOrgan]90’s MTB basketbike chat

1. V-brakes
  3. Tioga powerblocks were the fav when I built up a basketbike – any new ones that are good?[/quote]

Truth. Sunrace $5 thumbies if you dont have anything in your bin.[/quote]

all the info I need right now. tarck is the best

Good question, it will be carrying one pannier, sometimes fairly loaded, and I figure handling will be less strange with that on the rear than the front. This is for my wife so I’m being more conservative with these decisions than I normally would be.[/quote]
putting a heavy rear pannier on the rear of a low trail noodlebike is NOT a conservative choice, it’ll be a bucking bronco

you’re much better off with one front pannier, handling will be way less strange

or given that it’s one bag, a backpack in a front basket