SHARTQ'S

I find it easier to just replace the 7-speed uniglide freehub body with a modern 8/9/10 width one from a partsbin

suntour power ratchet or GTFO[/quote]

Suntour power ratchet crew checking in. I might have a spare set around if you are interested.

My fredsled has Suntour Power Ratchet shifters with cantilever brakes. Both are fine.

Why are you putting a rear rack on a grando?

I tried it on mine, it HATED it. Heel strike city. Bike’s meant for a front load. Rear load gives the bike a big time wobble.

Giant rear panniers on the front though, now that’s good to go.[/quote]

Good question, it will be carrying one pannier, sometimes fairly loaded, and I figure handling will be less strange with that on the rear than the front. This is for my wife so I’m being more conservative with these decisions than I normally would be.[/quote]
putting a heavy rear pannier on the rear of a low trail noodlebike is NOT a conservative choice, it’ll be a bucking bronco

you’re much better off with one front pannier, handling will be way less strange

or given that it’s one bag, a backpack in a front basket[/quote]
That’s the first time I’ve thought of the grando as a noodlebike, but noted. I’ll stick with a Tara, then. My Nishiki is definitely annoying with a heavy rear load.

I think it’s the first time I’ve ever heard one called a noodlebike as well. It’s a great bike though, and supposedly it’s got nice 8/5/8 tubes. It rides really really good with a front load. It rides really really shitty if you put too much in the rear. Any more than what’s in this picture and it gets a little wobbly. As pictured it rides like a dream. I’m not sure why they put rear rack mounts on it, but soma gonna soma.

The tara sits ever-so-slightly crooked on the v.3 grando, probably straight on the 1 and 2. I’ve run a tara on my v.3 plenty of times with the ortlieb rear panniers and it’s great.

You know they’re up there, but you can still go pretty fast with this amount of gear on.

[quote=kmcdon]I think it’s the first time I’ve ever heard one called a noodlebike as well. It’s a great bike though, and supposedly it’s got nice 8/5/8 tubes. It rides really really good with a front load. It rides really really shitty if you put too much in the rear. Any more than what’s in this picture and it gets a little wobbly. As pictured it rides like a dream. I’m not sure why they put rear rack mounts on it, but soma gonna soma.

The tara sits ever-so-slightly crooked on the v.3 grando, probably straight on the 1 and 2. I’ve run a tara on my v.3 plenty of times with the ortlieb rear panniers and it’s great.

You know they’re up there, but you can still go pretty fast with this amount of gear on.[/quote]

I did that with my wolverine. Cornering had my large rear panniers scrapping the fire roads (overstuffed and fully loaded.)
Also holy big ring! IS that a 52t front chain ring?

Cantilevers work great with a nice flat bar, “road pull” lever. they suck with drop bar levers but i never felt like there was any of it that i didn’t get with flat bar setups.

Yeah, it’s a 52.

TBH I’m not even sure what the small ring is, but I have a 36t cassette and it works pretty decent going up the canyons with a load.

So I know there’s that Shimano 11-34 11 speed cassette that will function on 10 speed hubs. Will new Shimano mtb cassettes with large end sprockets also do the same magic?

Yes, because all Shimano mountain hubs are technically “10-speed” from a road perspective.

Over the course of the week, around ~210km, my saddle has worked its way back 1-2mm. I was suspicious earlier, so I marked the position with a sharpie. The bolt is as tight as I will comfortably go.

Why for? What can I do? Sand the rails a little?

What post are you using?

The most recent Ultegra, 6600?

New Flite with Ti rails, FWIW.

Try Carbon assembly paste on the rails.

[quote=kmcdon]I think it’s the first time I’ve ever heard one called a noodlebike as well. It’s a great bike though, and supposedly it’s got nice 8/5/8 tubes. It rides really really good with a front load. It rides really really shitty if you put too much in the rear. Any more than what’s in this picture and it gets a little wobbly. As pictured it rides like a dream. I’m not sure why they put rear rack mounts on it, but soma gonna soma.

You know they’re up there, but you can still go pretty fast with this amount of gear on.[/quote]

How much do you weigh? I weigh 225. I can feel my Grando V1 get noodly especially with a touring load like this. I remember feeling this big slow flex when taking off fully loaded but no real complaints. Its pretty graceful with lots of weight and I would say it handles better with a little weight up front opposed to none.

I’m like 205 on a good day. I guess the only reason I hesitate to call it a noodlebike is because I have a nordavinden, and they are way fugn different.

And yeah, mine gets p. noodly with a load as well, but it’s the good kind of noodley where I can still go fast without thinking I’m gonna wreck.

[quote=Lowrey’sOrgan]I like the way cantis look
I don’t need to stop on a dime
I have had two bad experiences with v brakes
AYHSMBrakes[/quote]
what constitutes a “bad experience” with v brakes?

Coming to a stop when you really only wanted to slow down eventually.

Completing a big descent without having your hands cramp up