Shimano 105 5600

you suppin me?
haha[/quote]

Yes and I also suspect that my original sup post was my 1000th. Feel special. lol.

you suppin me?
haha[/quote]

Yes and I also suspect that my original sup post was my 1000th. Feel special. lol.[/quote]

I’m flattered, what warranted the sup? my love for 9 speed shimano perhaps?

why is 7900 so bad

you suppin me?
haha[/quote]

Yes and I also suspect that my original sup post was my 1000th. Feel special. lol.[/quote]

I’m flattered, what warranted the sup? my love for 9 speed shimano perhaps?[/quote]

I feel like I haven’t seen u around (or u just changed avatars (or I just haven’t been in threads where ur at (or I haven’t been paying enough attention (or I’m a little bit retarded))))?

7900… where do I start?

Shimano had seen Sram come in and make a sub-2000gram groupset whilst coming up with a new design for shifting and such. Everyone knew 7900 was on the way and frankly after how (revolutionary isn’t the right word but…) revolutionary Sram Red was with a ceramic everything, trim, double tap, incredibly stiff cranks, amazingly light and durable group etc etc we all expected 7900 to be the next BIG thing from “the” component manufacturer.

They had a long while to think about it and they released… 7900. Now… granted its been awhile since I’ve researched it but…

1. 7900 is incredibly expensive.
  2. 7900 isn’t lighter than Sram Red. In fact its BARELY lighter than 7800?
  3. 7900 isn’t backwards compatible with 7800 and so being that its incredibly expensive, Shimano didn’t have the foresight to make it so that their customers who may be poor could upgrade their bike little by little?
  4. 7900 is also not ceramic (not that that matters but it costs more than Red, its more than a 1/2 pound heavier than Red, why not make it at LEAST as good as your direct competition)

Anyways… there are lots of reviews that say the same. 7900 is probably one of the worst groupsets I’ve ever seen and frankly… caused me to switch to red. And I fucking LOVE red now.

yeah, i havent been around much, but “sup” back.

Lots of reason. In addition to Evo’s, here are mine:

-Reduced the downshift from three or four cogs to two
-The sweeping motion of downshifting is considerably more difficult and offers a lot of resistance on the lever. No more “light shifting” that Shimano is famous for. This is far and away my biggest complaint, especially since SRAM and Campagnolo both shift so effortlessly now.
-New, non-standard chain pitch (distance between pins), creates compatibility issues with non-7900 cranks. 1/2" had been a universal standard for decades
-New 7900 chain masterlink was available for less than a month before Shimano recalled it
-Carbon fiber shift levers replace classic aluminum ones to save like 5g and try to beat Red on weight, ends up looking plasticy.
-Once beautiful high-polish silver group is now … black and the rear derailer looks like Acera.

Before DI2, I thought that 7700/6500 was definitely the apex of Shimano technology, given how many of these levers are still in regular use ten years on, with zero maintenance. DI2 is pretty awesome and changes everything, although I am still bothered by the non-standard chain and increased carbon presence.

Lots of reason. In addition to Evo’s, here are mine:

-Reduced the downshift from three or four cogs to two
-The sweeping motion of downshifting is considerably more difficult and offers a lot of resistance on the lever. No more “light shifting” that Shimano is famous for. This is far and away my biggest complaint, especially since SRAM and Campagnolo both shift so effortlessly now.
-New, non-standard chain pitch (distance between pins), creates compatibility issues with non-7900 cranks. 1/2" had been a universal standard for decades
-New 7900 chain masterlink was available for less than a month before Shimano recalled it
-Carbon fiber shift levers replace classic aluminum ones to save like 5g and try to beat Red on weight, ends up looking plasticy.
-Once beautiful high-polish silver group is now … black and the rear derailer looks like Acera.

Before DI2, I thought that 7700/6500 was definitely the apex of Shimano technology, given how many of these levers are still in regular use ten years on, with zero maintenance. DI2 is pretty awesome and changes everything, although I am still bothered by the non-standard chain and increased carbon presence.[/quote]

Yeah BC… thanks for supplementing, I totally forgot about the fact that shimano specifically designed 7900 to have a shorter throw than 7800 and it ended up being longer. Here is the review that I had read back in the day. I’m not going to read it again because it makes me so mad.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2009/reviews/shimano_dura-ace_7900_group09

That’s a total deal breaker for me.

It’s very, very slight, and it works with a lot of cranks, but the pitch issue is the reason why Cervelo stuck with 7800, because it doesn’t work with their Rotor Rings.