shopdudes... pricing on Handspun custom wheels?

anybody done any ordering on custom handspun wheels?

I want a dynohub set-up but they discontinued the Delgado one… so I was looking at the 650b/LX dynohub wheel they had and wondering if I could get a 700c wheel built up with that hub through them. Prices on pre-builts are great, but I was basically wondering if the anyone knew if the customs were a similarly good value?

(I’d be ordering through the LBS at retail-ish price.)

Looks like that is a closeout wheel or something… price is pretty low. The best deal right on a custom right now is the Alfine DH-s500 hub.

If my shop did a handspun order on that with a delgado cross with dt champ spokes we would probably charge $240 based on what I consider a fair markup (retail markup on parts and no markup on QBP’s labor, which is too high in my opinion)

Of course if we built it in house we would charge $215 because on in house wheelbuilds we discount parts 10% and charge $25 labor when all the parts are purchased in from our shop.

Oh, and all the Shimano dynamo hubs are pretty close in price… the above one is the least expensive but the most expensive would probably only add about $30-40 to the price of the whole thing.

[quote=bradencbc]QBP’s labor, which is too high in my opinion)
[/quote]
this is what I was questioning, really. I don’t know that that one is closeout. here is teh Delgado one which is discontinues:
http://handspunwheels.com/products/view_product/1347/
lists MSRP at $150.
I might get the LBS to get me a quote. Maybe with that A23 rim. They’re dead this time of year, in addition to having a year-round capacity to put up with my stupid requests.

Then yes… QBP charges shops more to build a wheel then many shops charge a customer to build a wheel. It makes perfect sense if a shop is lazy or lacks a qualified wheel-builder otherwise it’s pretty pointless.
And yes that wheel you linked is one they only have 4 left of and are not continuing (non-current generator hub) which would explain why they are listing a wheel for about what the current hub retails for.

and i believe that all of qbp wheels are at-least partially machine built- machines lace them and start the building process, and humans finish it

i think

I won’t buy it unless a cuban immigrant drops in the spoke and does 100% of the tensioning and truing.

^Ha!

And I agree with Braden on Q’s labor charges. But if you can get that one supercheap and it’s close to what you want, why not?

EDIT: I’m definitely behind the idea of giving yer LBS something to do in these cold, slow days of winter, too… Damn, it’s slow.

What kind of bike shop can’t build a wheel?

^This would be sad, but I s’pose they’re out there…

well it’s close but like 21mm off (radius.[584 not 622]).

arghh, fuck. I’m gonna assume they’re backordered on dynohubs and once they come back in stock, they’ll be offering a $150 dynamo wheel again. might get the LBS to bug them for answers.

Building wheels is a dying art. The bike shop I worked at refused to build new wheels for customers, not that anyone ever asked us to, because the owner/manager preferred to sell “wheel systems” such as ksyriums and pre-built wheels from the j&b catalog to people.
Also, it was usually cheaper to sell pre-builts, at the expense of a lower-quality wheel.

well it’s close but like 21mm off (radius.[584 not 622]).

arghh, fuck. I’m gonna assume they’re backordered on dynohubs and once they come back in stock, they’ll be offering a $150 dynamo wheel again. might get the LBS to bug them for answers.[/quote]

Doubt it… that hub is nowhere to be found in the QBP catalog from what I can tell.

from what I understand, the LX touring/trekking group is not being sold in the US. I don’t know what circumstances QBP/Handspun got the wheels/hubs, but maybe they have a couple more kicking around?

It looks like the LX hub with the cutouts weighs 50g-ish more than the 3n80 hub with the alloy axle, which retails around $150 for the hub. If I was baller, I’d just buy the 650 wheel and a matching rear and some tires and see if 650b is any good. But it’s a pretty expensive test.

here’s another 26" handspun wheel with the same hub to a mavic 317
http://www.ebikestop.com/handspun_pavement_series_7_front_26quot_deore_lx_dynamo_mavic_xm317_silver-WE2797.php

i can point to one tarcker’s father

Building wheels is a dying art. The bike shop I worked at refused to build new wheels for customers, not that anyone ever asked us to, because the owner/manager preferred to sell “wheel systems” such as ksyriums and pre-built wheels from the j&b catalog to people.
Also, it was usually cheaper to sell pre-builts, at the expense of a lower-quality wheel.[/quote]
Not down.

The currently available dynamo hubs from QBP are: Sturmey Archer drum brake 36h, Shimano DH-3N80 32h, Shimano DH-3N72 in 32h and 36h, SRAM I- Motion 730 32h and 36h, Shimano Alfine DHS501 32h in black, and the Alfine DHS500 hub sold only with Shimano R600 halogen light.

A complete prebuilt wheel is always cheaper than paying a shop to build one up for you. But, you do end up with a better wheel if the builder actually knows what they are doing. The prebuilt wheels all depend on who they come from. In my experience the handspun prebuilt wheels from QBP are actually very nice. Many of the prebuilts from J&B not so much. I only a number of handspun QBP wheels on my own bikes and have had no trouble with any of them.

I got my LBS to call up QBP today.
there’s gonna be a 700c wheel available with the LX dynohub to Mavic A319, silver.
I’d guess MSRP is around $160ish.
The LX hub is not available for purchase separately.

I’ll probably purchase this when available.

[quote=Scheezler]I got my LBS to call up QBP today.
there’s gonna be a 700c wheel available with the LX dynohub to Mavic A319, silver.
I’d guess MSRP is around $160ish.
The LX hub is not available for purchase separately.

I’ll probably purchase this when available.[/quote]

is that thing significantly lighter than their 70 series hubs?

looks like not really, after a bunch of googling

heh - thanks for helping my lazy ass. my boss has one of the 71 models laying around so i will probably just use that. it is friggin’ heavy.