since it seems to be clipless question night.......

I only rode clipless for a short time and went back to clips and straps, which I guess is pretty unusual. I rode eggbeaters with sidi road shoes and the correct cleats.

I really enjoyed my improved climbing ability but I had a hell of a time getting unclipped, I’m pretty sure it is because I am an anatomical freak. My feet are at 10 and 2, hell its probably more like 9:30 and 2:30, they look like this when I’m standing \ /. This means when I’m clipped in my feet are forced into a more normal position but this limits my heel rotation, in fact alot of times it was easier to swing inward to unclip, kinda hard at times!

So long story short are there any pedal systems that might work better? Are there pedal adaptors or something (ones that space your pedal out from the crank), I’m pretty happy with my current pedal combo but I can’t help feeling I’m missing out…

huuuge amounts of float
angle the cleats to match your weird ass feet better

i also switched back to clips and straps but because of knee fatigue when unclipping, i also have duck feet, im going to get a fit eventually

everything about that picture sucks except for the VW bus

that is the only picture i have that illustrates how janky my feet are

next time it snows take pictures of your footsteps, people always used to pick on me for that!

[quote=“anita”]i also switched back to clips and straps but because of knee fatigue when unclipping, i also have duck feet, im going to get a fit eventually

[/quote]

Cute butt, Anita.

You could always try a longer bb if you want more room, and adjust the chainline in back if you absolutely have to.

I have duck feet too, my tracks (tarcks) in snow look really goofy. Also one of my legs is longer than the other because one hip is lower. I had a fit guy at a shop tell me this, and he also set up my cleats so that I could ride properly. Look out though, a lot of fitting “systems” consist in nothing more than their measuring your body, then running it through an excel formula, and printing you out a sheet that says what size bike to ride. You want the kind of fit where they actually put you and your bike on a trainer and watch you pedal.

yeah i dont trust a lot of shops they seem gimmicky

the track shop here recommended a chiropractor who has a fully adjustable “bike” that he puts you on and videotapes you on in order to get your ideal frame size, it takes several hours

he charges $250 though

This thread is full of cute butts, and it’s only the first page.

yeah i dont trust a lot of shops they seem gimmicky

the track shop here recommended a chiropractor who has a fully adjustable “bike” that he puts you on and videotapes you on in order to get your ideal frame size, it takes several hours

he charges $250 though[/quote]

The fit formula places are better than nothing. What they do is essentially what you could do at home with a hardcover book, a tape measure, and a set of formulas; but they are good at it. They will at least put you on something that’s close to the right fit if you aren’t getting there by yourself.

My fitter (Ed at Mighty Riders in Vancouver, BC) charged $60 or so. He is the first to point out that he has no medical credentials and isn’t qualified to solve anything really complex, but he has a good rep locally for his on-the-bike, no computers style of bike fitting. Maybe there is someone like this in your area…

[quote=“Omi”]

Cute butt, Anita.[/quote]
QFT

2 recommendations to OP:

• Angle your cleats so that they release earlier. Make sure they’re in the easy release setup (when you switch the left and right cleat the clip-out angle/force changes.
  • Get threaded ezxtender thingies. I know they exist. BTW the distance of the pedals is called Q-factor so google that.

[quote=“lofarkas”][quote=“Omi”]

Cute butt, Anita.[/quote]
QFT

2 recommendations to OP:

• Angle your cleats so that they release earlier. Make sure they’re in the easy release setup (when you switch the left and right cleat the clip-out angle/force changes.
  • Get threaded ezxtender thingies. I know they exist. BTW the distance of the pedals is called Q-factor so google that.[/quote]

Here, I googled this for you because I’m better than Santa and I also have work to do which I am trying to avoid doing:

“Kneesaver” Pedal Spacers:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html

To the OP:
pointing your cleats inwards will result in a clipped-in position that has your feet pointing outwards. It’ll also reduce the amount you need to twist your foot before it disengages (which can be pretty big on eggbeaters)

[quote=“mander”]The fit formula places are better than nothing. What they do is essentially what you could do at home with a hardcover book, a tape measure, and a set of formulas; but they are good at it. They will at least put you on something that’s close to the right fit if you aren’t getting there by yourself.

My fitter (Ed at Mighty Riders in Vancouver, BC) charged $60 or so. He is the first to point out that he has no medical credentials and isn’t qualified to solve anything really complex, but he has a good rep locally for his on-the-bike, no computers style of bike fitting. Maybe there is someone like this in your area…[/quote]

idk my fit feels pretty good, my big problem is I think just getting cleats set up, I tried to adjust myself but it just wasn’t happening

im interested in jacques suggestion to position feet on pedals so that they point out, everything ive read/heard says that they should be facing straight ahead, is this not true if you have duck feet?

^ Obviously.
You should adjust them so that your feet and knees are comfy. If the left and the right end up at a completely different angle, so be it. Cycling isn’t about looking like a Roman sculpture.

of course cleats end up at a different angle, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re supposed to be pedaling with your feet sticking out at angles to the bike just because that’s how you walk

That isn’t what he said at all. He said “You should adjust them so that your feet and knees are comfy.”

Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

[quote=“crushkilldestroy”]That isn’t what he said at all. He said “You should adjust them so that your feet and knees are comfy.”

Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.[/quote]

why are you such a combative dickwad? I think it’s pretty obvious that I’m asking a legit question, my first question pointed out that most literature out there suggests that feet point forward, this is the first time I’ve seen someone suggest otherwise

it might be “comfy” to have your toes pointing out at an angle, that doesnt mean you’re not going to twist your knees up in the long run