since it seems to be clipless question night.......

You’re right anita. When adjusting your bicycle you should not take into account that people are different. every part should be square, flat and in line.

I thought the idea was to adjust cleat positioning until you were comfortable with your toes pointing forward

[quote=“anita”][quote=“crushkilldestroy”]That isn’t what he said at all. He said “You should adjust them so that your feet and knees are comfy.”

Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.[/quote]

why are you such a combative dickwad? I think it’s pretty obvious that I’m asking a legit question, my first question pointed out that most literature out there suggests that feet point forward, this is the first time I’ve seen someone suggest otherwise

it might be “comfy” to have your toes pointing out at an angle, that doesnt mean you’re not going to twist your knees up in the long run[/quote]

Generally, if something is comfortable after 100 miles or so, you aren’t causing any long term damage. And you’ll often tell if your fit works within the first 10 miles. Perfect fit is about fine tuning, but it isn’t hard by any means.

And no, it wasn’t obvious that you were asking a legit question. It certainly looked like you were disagreeing with good advice.

I thought the idea was to adjust cleat positioning until you were comfortable with your toes pointing forward[/quote]

No your cleats should be at the natural angle of your foot.

There’s a reason why they’re adjustable.

Get a trainer and a set of Speedplays (X-series) with all the float. Pedal for a while and watch the natural position they take. Try to approximate your cleat position to replicate that and see if it’s more comfortable.

One anecdotal bit… as your cadence increases to a natural riding speed, your foot may start to straighten out.

[quote=“asterisk”]Get a trainer and a set of Speedplays (X-series) with all the float. Pedal for a while and watch the natural position they take. Try to approximate your cleat position to replicate that and see if it’s more comfortable.

One anecdotal bit… as your cadence increases to a natural riding speed, your foot may start to straighten out.[/quote]

Ive noticed the same thing with cadences, I think that was part of why I had problems

Thanks for all the suggestions!