single speed cyclocross frame choices

old craigslist touring frame is another option.

[quote=“Quinn8it”]So all this talk of Cross Racing has got me thinking… But I am super broke right now… I am thinking of building up one of my current frames into a SS-Cross bike to check it out this year.
These are my options:
Bianchi Pista (will be stripping all parts when new track frame arrives)
Iro Mark V (currently built up fixed with f+r brakes)
Bianchi Vigorelli (former road bike/stripped to frame)

What would be my best frame to start this project on? Like I said… Cheap is good! I was holding on to the Vigorelli for an Xtra Cycle conversion, but I could change plans…[/quote]

I raced on a group buy IRO (the Mark V frame one) and loved it. In fact, I wish I had kept it and just brazed on canti-pegs rather than but that GB Rob Roy. Anyway, as long as it’s not muddy, you won’t have any problems with the calipers brakes. Racing fixed probably isn’t advisable unless you know the course and your fellow racers, which you seemingly won’t, so just through a freewheel on there and you’re golden.

COOL!
Tire recommendations?
about the brazing on Canti pegs… Is that do-able? is there another option? I was looking at swapping the fork for a cross fork with pegs, but I like the idea of keeping things simple and cheap…

Brazing of the pegs is do-able. I’m not sure it’s worth paying someone to do, unless you know a person who will do it for a case of beer or something. I was going to try and do it myself, since it doesn’t seem to hard. Another course would be a new fork - you could probably prowl eBay for something cheap right now, since it’s off-season and people haven’t started prepping for the fall yet.

Really though, cantilevers aren’t necessary unless it’s a been raining. I don’t know where you live, but all last season, there wasn’t a single muddy course in any of the races I attended.

I used some 32c Michelin cross tires, but I can’t remember the type. They worked well, but I’ll probably go for a 28 or 30 this year.

The IRO site says the Mark V will take tires up to 28cc… I cant find any cross tires smaller than 700x30… Will they work on that frame? I am suddenly wishing I had not torn down my track tubulars… since I have seen sew ups in 700x28…

Well, I definitely ran 35s in there without incident. The clearance was extremely tight, but it worked. Of course every manufacturer has a different spec for their “standard” tire size. I really don’t know too much about cross tires, so I don’t know if I can help you other than to tell you to ask the CX forum on bikeforums, or wait for someone who knows what they’re talking about to chime in.

Unless someone says otherwise, Im thinking I will go with 700x30… I do remember someone saying that the Mark v was supposed to take 28’s and fenders…???,…

28mm cross tires exist but remember most cross tires have lugs with stick out. The brake will probably be the limiting factor rather than the frame. I would try to find something locally you can try before you buy.