six mintues a week, is it possible?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/can-you-get-fit-in-six-minutes-a-week/

Explains why those pesky 10x10 intervals work so well haha.

New York Times always comes through with good articles like this.

[quote=trackatino]Explains why those pesky 10x10 intervals work so well haha.

New York Times always comes through with good articles like this.[/quote]

I can’t say that’s entirely true…

lol… :colbert:

Meh. NYT beats the hell out of the Oregonian and USA Today. Other than those I don’t have much to compare it against…

NYT is an outstanding newspaper. Zionism aside.

Totally agree with this. I rode to work via beach cruiser for 3-4 months and saw almost no results in terms of fitness gains. Got a fixed gear and started sprinting between each stoplight and generally pushing myself really hard, and even though my short 3mi round trip commute didn’t change at all, when I got into road riding thereafter, I was able to jump into 40+ mile rides with no worries. Quickly worked up to doing centuries not long after. I also lost 40lbs+ within six months. It’s basically like interval training what with how frequent I have to stop and start around here. The fixed gear makes me want to go fast, too, whereas the beach cruiser was all about going slow. Worked (and continues to work) for me.

40lbs? from just 3mi commutes? You serious?

Not /just/ 3mi commutes, but that was the “core”. I tow my kids with my Xtracycle & Wike trailer on the weekends, and sometimes go for longer rides on the road bike, etc. And run errands before and after work. But seriously, the commute is the basis, and the strength I built from riding a fixed gear doing it made all the other stuff possible and even appealing. Sorry if I distorted that, what I was trying to say is that I think there’s definitely something to this interval thing.

No, i was just wondering. I’m going to start taking my 14km commute a lot more seriously now.

The weight loss all happened by roughly October/November.

So they repeated the Tabata Protocol with swimming mice instead of cyclists?

Didn’t we already know this?

i think i could eat like 6 minties in a week

they are reaaaally chewy though

I definitely agree with surfimp here. When I first started commuting, I was too worried about not getting hit to push myself. Once I got comfortable, started riding hard to and from work, and even though it was only 10-15 miles a day, I definitely started feeling stronger. Once I started doing 30-40 mile rides with experienced riders, I had little trouble keeping up with 'em.

I didn’t really have weight to lose, but I’m definitely more lean and what not. Commuting FTW.

congrats surfimp! it’s really cool that you did what a lot of people want to do while having fun. I think that is key.

i ride as fast as i can all the time haha (unless im on a long ride)
so far its working out well

[quote=GRHebard]i ride as fast as i can all the time haha (unless im on a long ride)
so far its working out well[/quote]

Yeah that won’t work very well for too long.

I just found I really like riding bikes! My car now sits parked, I have to remember to drive it at least once a month so it doesn’t just rot away :bear:

Sounds like aerobic (cardio, distance road cycling, “spinning”) vs. anaerobic (weight training, sprinting from intersections tarck cycling, “mashing”). What’s new?

Oh that sounds safe. :colbert:

this just in: interval training is good for you