So what exactly is wrong with Wal-Mart bikes?

no on the first sentence, yes on the second.

joke, right? iros are built in taiwan, and their parts are rebranded stuff mostly built in china and taiwan…

edit: beat by 30 seconds or so.

that was gerund logged into my account…

<_<

_>

Don’t blame it on the girl. n00b.

The other day, this Mexican dude brought in his “full-suspension” Magna for a complete tune-up. It was clear that this was this guy’s only transportation, and one can guess that he’s likely not flush with cash, so I felt particularly bad that we took $60 from him to tune up a bike that’s probably worth $10, but what can you do? It’s not like I can just say “No fella,” and tell him to go away.

It was after that that I started thinking about those cheap Schwinn “Cutter” single speeds that were posted a few days ago, and I realized that those would be great for people like this, and I hope that the big box stores start selling them so this guy doesn’t get hosed just because he needs a bike to ride to work.

i saw a guy on a 16" “bmx” magna one day.
he was all dressed up in like a factory worker uniform and carrying his tamales in a grocery bag.
he had a 36" or so galvanized pipe nipple for a seatpost.
one of the saddest things i ever saw in my life.

…but at least someone told him his leg needed to be almost extended for him to get a proper stroke.

[quote=“thehappyrobot”]i saw a guy on a 16" “bmx” magna one day.
he was all dressed up in like a factory worker uniform and carrying his tamales in a grocery bag.
he had a 36" or so galvanized pipe nipple for a seatpost.
one of the saddest things i ever saw in my life.

…but at least someone told him his leg needed to be almost extended for him to get a proper stroke.[/quote]

or perhaps he wasn’t quite as dumb as some condescending onlooker thought and already knew that, or even figured it out all by himself?

just because someone is poor/making do with what they have, you shouldn’t automatically assume they’re stupid. hell, some people don’t even want your sympathy.

just about every other person i’ve seen riding a “bmx” bike has the seat slammed down as low as it can go, and their knees are just about hitting their chest when they pedal.

but hell, what would i know?
i’m just a condescending onlooker.

yes. i think they were bought by pacific like schwinn and gt though.[/quote]

If it’s an old Mongoose, it could be worth rebuilding, if it were a Fuzzy Hall Pro frame, i’d do it.

[quote=“bonechilling”].

It was after that that I started thinking about those cheap Schwinn “Cutter” single speeds that were posted a few days ago, and I realized that those would be great for people like this, and I hope that the big box stores start selling them so this guy doesn’t get hosed just because he needs a bike to ride to work.[/quote]

Thats exactly what I said about those frames. If they made 50lb rigid mtb frames that were either SS or 1x6 and had smoother tires, a hell of a lot of people would be getting to work happier and faster. They could spend the extra $5 they saved on suspension and put a rack or fenders on or something.

If they came out with a “commuter” in two sizes and advertised how much better it is to ride to work for $125, they’d sell a shit ton.

yes. i think they were bought by pacific like schwinn and gt though.[/quote]

don’t forget to add everyone’s favorite “handmade in the USA” cannondale to the list of Dorel brands

as if a half decent bike frame can be made by a machine.

[quote=“TimArchy”][quote=“bonechilling”].

It was after that that I started thinking about those cheap Schwinn “Cutter” single speeds that were posted a few days ago, and I realized that those would be great for people like this, and I hope that the big box stores start selling them so this guy doesn’t get hosed just because he needs a bike to ride to work.[/quote]

Thats exactly what I said about those frames. If they made 50lb rigid mtb frames that were either SS or 1x6 and had smoother tires, a hell of a lot of people would be getting to work happier and faster. They could spend the extra $5 they saved on suspension and put a rack or fenders on or something.

If they came out with a “commuter” in two sizes and advertised how much better it is to ride to work for $125, they’d sell a shit ton.[/quote]

Most people here in china ride a single speed bike. Its gets people where they need to be for DIRT cheap. We talking about 30 bucks a bike.

[quote=“bold”]that was gerund logged into my account…

<_<

_>[/quote]
WE FUCKING GET IT YOU KNOW A GIRL

MIGHTYYY

MORPHIING

POWER

VIOLENCE

thought this thread could use this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9w3Gbur74o

its a pacific, just so you know ahead of time.

Ah! Robot’s back!
And for serious I just found one fo these things abandoned in my alley and welded a fixed cog on to the rear wheel. Polo bike FTW.

I can sum up this whole thread in one sentence. What isn’t wrong with walmart bikes? /thread

^^yep, close this thread

DELETE THIS THREAD PLEEZ