Solo vs Group Rides

Imean I like yr kindifgroupride

lol your kind of group ride could also be done on foot for the same amount of stoke. It’s basically the difference between cyclists and people who happen to be atop a bicycle. I’m 100% sure it’s a lot more fun than the Lycra clad variety, but it’s an entirely different animal and I would not group the activity in what one would normally call a group ride. It’s a randonnée, though it seems that word’s been misappropriated, so maybe another French word? Sortie?

are you a sorteur?

Lonewolf crü here 99% of the time. I’ll ride with people I already know, but most people I know don’t ride.

I feel the same as Scott on this one. Start at the same time, regroup a couple of times, but ride my own pace and ride. Then camp together and do it all again the next day. Seems to work well most of the time, except when people insist on waiting for me at the top of hills. Fuck you I will get there as slow as I damn well please.

I usually ride by myself, but will admit I am a heckovalot faster when I’m riding with others that push my abilities. Not just because aerogainz, but because I have to ride fast to keep up. Honestly, they’re impressed I can keep up and pull on my steel roadie, flat pedals, and shortshorts.

I used have a group of people i liked riding with. I especially like mtbing with a couple of buds and i learn a lot from following fast people’s lines. But then I moved and now i don’t know anyone, and am probably too slow to join a group ride of these cali roadie types, so now it’s lone wolf lyf

Most of my riding is done early morning on a turbo trainer. Like Turp I use the time to think and consider it as a wholly meditative space. I’d like to ride with others but don’t have the time or that’s what I keep telling myself anyway.

My office has a weeklyish lunch ride that I’ll occasionally jump in on. It’s a nice opportunity to chat with coworkers outside of the work environment. I also get some motivation to go harder when things get spicy and I’ll descend faster by following the good lines downhill.

That’s about all of the group riding I really care to do, though. Once I get beyond an hour or two, there’s just no one I really want to make small talk with for that long.

As a sometimes previous life hill waiter, it’s because we blew all of our matches to get up the hill.

I climb slower now.

1 Like

To be fair, I’m cool folks wait for me. It’s when I get to the top and they’ve rested for a while and say “cool, you ready?” Like hell I’m ready! You just breathed, now it’s my turn !

1 Like

fucking this! My best friend is 6’3" and like 160lbs. I’m 5’9" and 190lbs. Every damn time I get to the top of the hill he’s like, “Okay lets go!” Dude no, it took me like a million more watts and calories to get up here than you, just chill for a second.

1 Like

I sometimes ride solo but most of the time I ride with 2-5 other people. Following faster people up and down is the only way I really get any better.

Among the people I ride with, this move is colloquially referred to as “the French rest”.

1 Like

is this like the French Line on the mtb?

i love riding with 2-4 people who i already know. the idea of riding with 10+ “roadies” is the worst torture i could possibly imagine.
i can never find anyone to MTB with, but that’s an area where i’d love to have a friend who enjoys riding with me. i moved away from all my MTB friends.

Or French free in rock climbing?

this, did a 250k “event” once, just wall to wall wobbly freds for the first half hour at least until the “pack” strung out a bit. the exact opposite of relaxing, and reason for not doing any more such “events”

For me its: Solo = training, group rides = practice races

But then my enjoyment of cycling mainly stems from getting better at it. If I want to just zen out and enjoy the ride I hop on the mtb and go pretty slow