Soma Track Hubs.

just go with formulas. For street use it’s all you really need.

Word. Also, those Grand Compes, in that photo at least, look a lot like Formulas without the cutouts in the hub flanges.

tarckatina is positive the are the same hubs sans cutouts.

formula makes cup and cone hubs that dont have cutouts that look even more similar.

heres a question, why would a company with a history/legacy of dia-compe be rebrand formula’s?

Same reason Sony, Toshiba, LG, etc, rebrand LITEON cd/dvd-roms:

dolla dolla billz y’all.

that post induced a good LOL.

but you’re a bit off base with that remark dude.

[quote=“jasonm”]
heres a question, why would a company with a history/legacy of dia-compe be rebrand formula’s?[/quote]

Weeeeeeeellll… dia-compe is owned and/or merged with Cane Creek since the 90s, and since CC likes making superlightweight proprietary track hubs, why not just get a Taiwanese company to make really high quality hubs at a fraction of the cost it would take to make them themselves?

Although I’m not convinced that the Grand Compe / Iro Premier hubs are necessarily Formulas. but at this point, most of the technology/performance of in a hub is in the sealed bearings, so unless you have a retarded design where the cones lack a stop and will self-tighten and crush the bearings if you don’t keep an eye on them (aka the Surly proprietary design, which I hope to god they’ve finally fixed), the differences between hubs are mostly colors, polishing and flange height.

I knew they merged with cane creek…

Good post. I didn’t think of it like that.

What about the quality of the threads, in terms of alloy grade and machining precision?

So whats the official unofficial word on Profile hubs? All my BMX buddies swear by em, but I dont personally know anyone using them on a tarck bike.

way too $$

I honestly think that threading hasn’t been a issue since Quando’s last mold was recycled into the factory latrine. The only people I’ve heard of having problems with the threading on even the cheapest Dimension / OEM hub have either not tightened the cog/lockring enough, or used a crappy cog - both of which would be an issue on a Phil. Maybe it’s an issue for like 300 lb sprinters who provide absurd torque, but normal folks seem to be fine with anything modern.

I’m convinced that virtually all complaints and problems reported with cheap wheels and hubs are due to rider neglect/misuse.

So I’m bumping this thread. My LBS has Soma hubs for 60 but I’m leary of getting them cause tons of Soma stuff sucks and this thread is telling me not to do it. Does anyone know anyone about the Milwaukee hubs at Ben’s. They’ve caught my attention though I’d really like to buy through the LBS. I just want something under 100, fixed/ fixed, and will last. Should I just stfu and stick with the formulas?

I have gran compe on my ram, and they roll better than my surly and vrlocity hubs did. I would’ve preferred them be low flange, but they have a nice look to them either way.

The Soma and Milwaukee hubs are pretty much the same hub.

^ Good to know. Will they fit the bill? I just want to do my first wheel build (already have some velocity aeroheads) and have a fixed wheelset that’ll last a while.

You can.

i’m pretty sure you can. i love my miches and if i’m right that they’re doing fixed/fixed now, they’re totally my choice for my next wheelset, too.

Yes. I hear from internet common knowledge and from a friend who uses them that the dimension/ soma/ steelwool/ milwaukee/ nashbar hubs (they’re all the same) are more than adequate for street fg use.