Souplesse Casings and Bike Soup - The Tire Thread

I’m pretty big (210 lbs) and used to do a lot of climbing on most of my local routes - I would be lucky to get 1500-1800 miles out of a 25mm tire.

32mm road tires on mostly flat/gently rolling terrain? 3k miles easy

1 Like

yeah, 100kg cru here, hard on tires too

I feel like to live the good life I need to switch out my tires as often as I switch out my af1s

1 Like

weekly, or are you a total loser?

I don’t wear them shits more than once

1 Like

I’ve been running the 38 TLR and it certainly doesn’t fall into the realm of what I would consider “slow”. Feels faster than my old Barlow Pass.

I’ve got a set (700cx38mm) I just pulled that have some life left on 'em if anyone wants me to try them. Odds of me re-mounting them are pretty slim as I’m running 700c Strada Bianca on the new bike and 650b something-else for serious underbiking. Current pick is Continental Speedking2.

3 Likes

I had a set a few years ago and very much liked them…except they were not considered tubeless-compatible. I hope that’s changed, but worth double checking.

A couple friends have ridden them tubeless for years with no issue.

Unrelated tire chat…I put 650x47 ramblers on last week and they’re really giving me all of it. Nights not be great once everything around here is a muddy sloshfest but for now they’re great. Measure out to 49.5mm on Belgium+. Barely fit under my fenders.

1 Like

New version looks to be.

From my perspective it appears to be a higher volume Vittoria Terreno Dry, which I’m stoked about.

Though I’m now seeing the Terreno Dry comes in 650x47 which is larger than I thought. Regardless, I’m aiming for the maximum amount of tire that I have clearance for, which should be ~2.2".

2 Likes

That’s great news, I have a set of unmounted Schwalbe G One Speeds, but would rather go with those contis.

I’ll give ‘em a review once I get them mounted and out some miles on them.

I don’t look at the ridinggravel site ever b/c g-ted sucks but backed into this thread looking at knobbie stuff on GIS and wow this comment is the missing link for my galaxybrain tire takes. Sort of knew this intuitively having many punctures off to the sides of the tread centerline on 42s/47s that simply would not have occurred on narrower tires because the tire wouldn’t have rolled over the object in the first place - but never conceptualized in this way.

The wider, (and larger) contact patch just encounters more road irregularities, and consequently loses more energy via hysterisis.

There’s also a study linked earlier that is giving me some serious thinking about why slicks suck so much on gravel and dirt [around here] - and why I found a decrease is wet road grip with wider tires.

3 Likes

linky link plz?

Ugh I regret asking

1 Like

Yeah

1 Like

That guy says people don’t ride wide tires at Paris Roubaix. Does he know what they used to ride 10-20 years ago compared to today?

2 Likes

~25mm tubulars or some such.

some teams would get special huge tubulars specially made, as big as 28mm!

what’s the tire hot takes ya had in the first place? :eyes:

1 Like