Speedez / Raceblade fenders and tight clearances

Who runs Planet Bike Speedez or SKS Raceblade fenders in the winter time?

Anyone have any experience riding them for the front wheel on tight track bikes? i.e. this tight:

Did it work out fine? Was clearance an issue up front?

Looks like Zelah didn’t have too much hassle on his small Kilo:

So anyone else have any idea?

My plan is to run these for winter with a DIY rubber mudflap up front to keep the feet dry. It appears that the Speedez would be more suitable for tight clearances.

I ran SKS Raceblades on my 51cm Bridgestone, and there are few bikes with clearances as low as a keirin frame. I had some toe overlap, but that’s to be expected.

I’d recommend getting a pair of some clip-on fenders regardless, especially if you’re getting yourself a new road bike like you’d talked about - you can use them on that (and I would think they’d be a necessity in a place like Portland). I basically only run one bike, my roadie, and I use these fenders anytime I’ve gotta head out in the wet. The coverage is less than perfect, but still better than nothing.

Ill pretty much mirror everything bonechilling said and add that they fit fine on my 52cm Fuji Track fine. They work pretty well, stand up to abuse, and are pretty convenient. I do need to make some sort of mud guard some how though, my toes still get pretty soaked.

just get full fenders, drill and tap

Fairly sure full fenders are not going to fit on the Alien. I got them barely to fit my KHS and that was with much modification and adjustment. And while they are indeed nice for the wet coverage, it’s also a pain to have to take off the rear fender in order to take off the wheel.

bonechilling, I had a similar idea in mind… possibly buying two sets of Raceblades or Speedez to have one for the track/city bike and one for the road/long rides bike. By the time I have money saved for a road bike it’s probably going to be around January, right in the height of rainy season. Either way after looking at your Bridgestone I’d conclude there shouldn’t be a problem on the Alien.

Anyone mess around with the DIY rubber/plastic bottle mudflaps for added feet coverage?

You might just take your bike in and try to install them. My shop would let me check out the fit.

Race Blades seem like someones solution to this idea…not the other way around.

Just a point: if your fender touches the frame accidentally, not a big deal. If the fender touches the wheel, you could be screwed.

Alex has the Planet Bike ones btw.

Race Blades seem like someones solution to this idea…not the other way around.[/quote]
im just giving him shit cause i gots full fenders

On an se lager.

I have the PBike ones. They work pretty well. I also have a fair amount of clearance due to a 59cm frame with a road fork.

Race Blades seem like someones solution to this idea…not the other way around.[/quote]
im just giving him shit cause i gots full fenders[/quote]

Yeah, I don’t even know why. It hasn’t rained in awhile, fenders start to turn into necessity in Oregon like November to April/Mayish…

Yeah. I had Raceblades on my road bike for a while. Tape up your stays and fork with some electrical tape or something before strapping them down. The jostling around from adjusting them frequently (and you will have to) could mess up your paint.

^^ Truth. I ran Raceblades on my road bike and the paint just above where I put down some thick automotive 3m tape was scuffed… nothing a little polish and wax couldn’t fix but still annoying.

i was gonna get raceblades last year but was low on funds.
maybe i’ll get some this year now that i’m working a better job and not smoking weed.

[quote=“666pack”]i was gonna get raceblades last year but was low on funds.
maybe i’ll get some this year now that i’m working a better job and not smoking weed.[/quote]
Awesome.

about to order some for my vivalo… any reason to pick one over the other aside from price? quality difference etc?

more clearance on the speedez.

Gotta make sure to spray paint them some wacky color.