spend my money on a mountain bike: pls help

they’re not renting any body armor this season, i imagine for covid purposes. they are renting helmets though? i can’t explain it. i’m just buying some $50 knee pads for myself and my tarckstar who will be joining me. he’ll be very excited he loves knee pads

6 Likes

Knee pads rule. A little confidence boost.

After smashing my shoulder a couple times, I invested in one of those Leatt Stealth Tees. I haven’t tested it yet, but I saw another guy impact test one last weekend with good results.

2 Likes

Oh cool. I like the leatt mtb stuff. Wish their enduro helmet fit me better.

I almost have a full protection kit from them, now. I guess their fit can be a bit wonky; I must be in their demographic.

i was just considering buying one of those tshirts!
i have acquired some knee pads

so i had a great time on a Tallboy CC with GX (i think). it was everything i ever wanted. there is one (with NX) in stock at competitive cyclist in my size right now.
if i wait until december when i get my bonus, will there be more bikes my size (medium) in stock, or fewer?

2 Likes

Is there a way to give @capn_FANCYpants a referral credit if you but from Competitive Cyclist?

Normally I’d say wait for holiday sales and/or next year’s models.

But nowadays I have no idea, curious what shopbros say.

1 Like

now after having been presented with a specific bicycle, i am curious if i will hate NX. does it suck? i would be coming from XT brakes and XX1 shifting

As a shimanoperson who don’t jive with sram anything, I’d just replace it with whatever shimano or even Box I could find.

Although neither enduro-mtb or The Red Site don’t hate it:

I have only used 11 speed NX, but I hated it. It shifted OK, but it felt so shitty and cheap and plasticky. I ended up upgrading the shifty bits and cranks to an SLX/XT mix, but I tried Deore out kind of recently and it’s way better than that shitty NX stuff, IMO.

3 Likes

thank you!

You’d hate it, for sure.
Yeah, what he said. Even deore is solid, just heavier. Sram nx is heavier and way cheaper feeling.

1 Like

NX sucked for me and GX did too after like a few months longer. But you should buy it and get Shimano once the rear derailleur stops shifting right.

3 Likes

YES!! Use this link and I get a small commission. Thanks for checking Jimmy!!

12sp gx has been good for me so far, but only like 3 months an maybe 15 rides on it? So not sure if I’m in for sad times soon with regards to performance degredation

1 Like

I’m still rocking my GX from my original trance 29 build that moved to new trance frame, and now to banshee. Feels as good as the start. Duh my x01 shifter on the enduro feels better, but gx still good.
Still probably easier to find sram stuff than lower level shimano.

1 Like

GX seagull 1x11 with a Sun Race 11-50 cassette gives me all of it.

1 Like

Any particular chain you’d recommend?

Sram PCX1 or XX1

1 Like