Spoke Troubles

Okay, so as some of you might know, I’m holding onto a set of 258mm spokes & nipples that I can’t get rid of. It’s $70 worth of spokes and nipples and my friend can’t return them anymore because it was beyond the 30 day return period. I ordered some DA28 rims from those idiots at ebikestop.com and the assholes gave me the run around for a fucking month before telling me they’re not sure if the rims would come in any time soon despite reflecting an “in stock” status on the site.

So I had to change the order to some Velocity Fusions and add like $30 to the order. Well, I’m sitting on some rims and some hubs that demand a 261mm spoke.

Am I right in believing that a mm off in spoke size wouldn’t be a big deal but 3mm is asking for trouble?

You might maybe be able to fudge it.
I used the same spokes for a formula hub and a surly hub to the same rim and that was like 2-3 mm of difference.

If you originally calculated the lengths for 12mm nipples, just get some 16mm’s. They have 3-4mm more thread. Then your spokes will be exactly the right length. (You’ll probably get away with 3mm too short spokes anyways, but then again, a nipple might fail.)

[quote=“m4bandit”]Okay, so as some of you might know, I’m holding onto a set of 258mm spokes & nipples that I can’t get rid of. It’s $70 worth of spokes and nipples and my friend can’t return them anymore because it was beyond the 30 day return period. I ordered some DA28 rims from those idiots at ebikestop.com and the assholes gave me the run around for a fucking month before telling me they’re not sure if the rims would come in any time soon despite reflecting an “in stock” status on the site.

So I had to change the order to some Velocity Fusions and add like $30 to the order. Well, I’m sitting on some rims and some hubs that demand a 261mm spoke.

Am I right in believing that a mm off in spoke size wouldn’t be a big deal but 3mm is asking for trouble?[/quote]

wish i knew this, i just bought 258mm for a rim

I agree with all of this.

I agree with all of this.[/quote]
I fucking love you, tya. You’re a genius.

[quote=“toddistic”]

wish i knew this, i just bought 258mm for a rim[/quote]
Daammmn it. I had them on the Marketplace for a couple of weeks. They were $60 shipped.