Sprint training

Right now I am living in Salt Lake, which does not have a velodrome. But I plan on moving back to Portland in May once I graduate. I would like to sprint competitively when I get back home. Currently I am doing as much off season training as I can, I have a decent weight training schedule set up. I ride probably 100-150 miles a week ( as much as I can with busy school and work schedule).

My first question is:
What are things I can do to make my weight training translate into speed. I’ve read a lot of the weight lifting posts on FGF and have formed a workout around what I feel comfortable with and what seems to be pretty practical. I am just curious though, as far as training my muscles goes. Is it good of me to plan on coming home after a workout at the gym and spend 45 minutes on the rollers doing a warm up and high intensity intervals? Or is this just a waste of my time?

My next question is:
What are things I can do with no access to a track to increase my abilities on the track for racing. I plan on doing some workouts going from a standing stop and accelerating hard for a hundred meters or so, resting and repeating.

With no track access until probably mid/late May what are things I can do to make myself as competitive as possible in the upcoming season?

group rides help a lot. just being used to having people riding really close to you is a big thing, especially if you mostly/always ride alone like i do.

find the aussie track sprinters training guide… its a pdf that has been passed around for a few years, it goes into details of what they do…

Weight training concentrating on explosive efforts and isolating one leg at a time.

Trying to make it to some of the races in town myself, I guess I got lots of training to do.

Doesn’t really make any difference for match sprinting since it’s one-on-one.

[quote=“dmotoguy”]find the aussie track sprinters training guide… its a pdf that has been passed around for a few years, it goes into details of what they do…

Weight training concentrating on explosive efforts and isolating one leg at a time.[/quote]

link please?

So are you planning on focusing purely on match sprint and not doing any other events? Keep in mind at Alpenrose you have to be cat 4 to match sprint, so you’ll have to do 4 days of mass starts with the cat 5’s on Fast Twich Friday before getting into the actual sprints.

If you’re focusing purely on sprinting, I’d say the majority of your training should center around weights, high cadence roller work and hard efforts no longer than a km. 10x10 intervals, kilo practice, flying 200m practice, lots of seated start to all-out seated sprint practice, etc. Find a coach or accomplished track racer and befriend them.

If you want to be more all around and do points/scratch races, incorporate more road training work into the regimen. Base miles, longer intervals, mock points races (easiest to do while at the track), and get into faster road training come spring, on top of the weights / intervals discussed above.

If you indeed stick to this, we’ll probably be sprinting against eachother in the summer time.

I don’t want to limit myself souly to match sprints, but I really don’t see myself doing anything over a kilo competitively. Thanks for the advice Dre, hope to see you on the track next summer.

“solely”

stfu. ass.

I wanna come over to portland to race a few times next season… is there a schedule somewhere?

http://www.obra.org

[quote=“juliov23”][quote=“dmotoguy”]find the aussie track sprinters training guide… its a pdf that has been passed around for a few years, it goes into details of what they do…

Weight training concentrating on explosive efforts and isolating one leg at a time.[/quote]

link please?[/quote]

i have a copy, pm me your email address or you can wait til monday when im at my work computer (have the link there)

stfu. ass.[/quote]

You’re welcome.

Part of my problem is I can’t really make a regular schedule (outside). Due to the facts A) that I’m finishing up my thesis at Uni which takes a lot of fucking time on top of school. B) because I live in Salt lake and there’s snow/ice on the road quite a bit. I guess I’ll just do my best to get out when I can and do rollers on the days I can’t.

The Cyclist’s Training Bible by Joe Friel is a good read. A lot of theory on purposeful training: let’s you evalute your strengths and weaknesses and train accordingly. It has a lot of info on what’s happening in your body, understanding VO2 Max and stuff.