Spurcycle vs. the world. Bell thread part 2.

Ugh rough. As the owner of a couple rockbros and one spur frankenbell, this article made me want to support the musa doofuses and buy another spur. As tarck so quickly established bitd, there really isn’t any comparing the two.

I much prefer the tone of my Spur but the Crane is more reliable in the cold for some reason. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Opposite here, I prefer the tone of the Crane. The Spur tone is kind of annoying to me. People also seem to hear/respond better to the Crane knock off.

I think you’re correct about the response from others. The Crane lives on my primary Coffee Grinder for this reason.

They sure don’t look as nice tho.

1 Like

Would the crane bell fit on the spur mount

OTTO locks have been claimed.

Wanted to add a little more context here.

As a matter of policy, the US wants to encourage early disclosure. This avoids the case where an invention is widespread and then the creator patents to extract royalties from existing market/users (think an technology incorporated into an industry standard that then is patented). Don’t want to have existing users be liable for patent infringement if they don’t pay. Also, avoids problems of who invented something first vs. who sold it first, and as @adem said, stifling/capturing further developments (called “submarine patents”). Memorys a little foggy, but I think this was influenced by the adoption of the bar code on products, and maybe some computer networking stuff from the 80s.

The AIA, implemented in 2013, now grants a one year grace period from the offer for sale/actual sale, or public disclosure, during which you can still file for a patent without being barred. @jimmythefly is right here, that after the one year grace period, the previous public sale or disclosure could be used as prior art in rejecting a subsequent application.

4 Likes

My feed bags, rando bag flap & stem mounted phone are really cramping my bar real estate so I was considering trying this Lindarets shapeways printed bar end plug for the Spurcycle bell but very pricey, especially with shipping and tax for a plastic part.

Also discover this all-in-one from Canyon. Anyone ding one for science?

1 Like

Canyon Ring shipping is… wow

6 Likes

that’s a lot for a 3D printed doodad that you could easily reverse engineer and model

2 Likes

And it doesn’t look like they ship to the United States anyways.

How bad do you want it? I can ship it from here which will probably be $30+ or ship it from Boise in July.

2 Likes

Oh, I’d like one
Edit: ship from Boise

1 Like

Oh dang, $21

7 Likes

I was fondling a different cowbell within/off mode at a lbs and damn it was heavy. If this is as light as it looks I’d totally buy one if they come back in stock.

Was it the Timber bell?

I’m interested in this type of bell, I currently just have one of those bear bells strapped to my bars/stem but it’s pretty floppy and the magnet is is too weak to hold over rough stuff

I have these on backorder and am so excited about them

2 Likes

Yes. It was at least a year ago, and now it looks like there is a newer version 4.0 from April 2021, but considering they say it’s “beefed up” I doubt the weight decreased.

I’m not really a weight watcher, but it was noticably heavier than a Spurcycle so I declined to purchase.

2 Likes

their site says to order from Amazon, where they are in stock. Not sure if you are backordering them to sell retail though.

1 Like