STI shifting problems (or not?)

Hi,
I’m pretty new to STI, and ordered a used pair of Dura Ace’s off eBay. However, the left one seems to me to shift a little funny. It only clicks about halfway through each lever push, and the outer lever doesn’t extend as far as the inner lever does.

Clear as mud? I uploaded a video to try and demonstrate it. The sercond time through, I pause where I feel a click (though the clicks are no where as “sharp” as on the right shifter), and then continue with the shift. I don’t feel a click at the outermost extension of either lever. The pressure just becomes too much to continue without fear of breaking something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gTkHkuPhY

The other lever seems much more “sharp/precise” than this.

Is this normal, or should I start asking for a refund?

Thanks for helping out a noob,
Asher

Is it an 09 STI? I don’t like how those only come as a hatchback.

I’d go for a '08 - '07 STi instead. Subaru has really gone soft this year.

wait wat?

You may be feeling the trim position for the front derailleur. Buying used STI is always a dicey proposition, though. I wouldn’t recommend it. If it isn’t shifting well once you get it installed there isn’t much you can do. You can flush the whole thing with a light lubricant (sometimes buys you some life), but they are not serviceable.

I’m glad I got me some fully rebuildable SRAM brifters.

The insides of the SRAM shifters are quite elegant. Way simpler than either of their competition. Shimano stuff works great (I use it), but it is annoying that you would have to be an eight armed Japanese robot to rebuild the stupid things.

Well a 10 armed japanese robot now. They phased the 8 arm japanese robot build technology out last year in favor of a new system. 10 armed japanese robot brifter building machines are not backwards compatible either. You’ll have to upgrade your entire drivetrain and workshop.

try spraying some degreaser like clean streak in there if no improvement ask for refund

p.s. there might be a remnant of a cable end floating in there

wait… what are we talking about? you mean I got this cake made for nothing?

if you have shifting problems there is only one solution…
Convert it into a sick singlespeed? gears are for queers?

also yeah the 09 STI is shit, has liek 30 more HP than teh golf GTI and still is slower :colbert:

[quote=“onemorebeer”]try spraying some degreaser like clean streak in there if no improvement ask for refund

p.s. there might be a remnant of a cable end floating in there[/quote]

We always used GT-85 lube in my shop. It worked in most situations. Not a fix all solution, but it kept many shifters going for a long time.

[quote=“guggles”]if you have shifting problems there is only one solution…
Convert it into a sick singlespeed? gears are for queers?

also yeah the 09 STI is shit, has liek 30 more HP than teh golf GTI and still is slower :colbert:[/quote]
Mistubishi EVO X all the way for me.

i prefer bmw 3 series’

and brakes are for fakes

everyone knows that

AND ON THE P.S. FOR THE THREADS SAKE MIGHT I ADD THAT UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY HAVE SHIFTER CABLES ROUTED THROUGH THE SHIFTER AND TENSIONED ONTO THE DERAILLEUR THAT YOU ARE BOTH A: FUCKING UP THE INTERNAL MECHANISMS (so video: fail), AND B: WILL NOT THE FEEL THE TOTAL/ACTUAL EFFECT OF THE SHIFTING ACTION COMPARED TO WHEN IT IS ACTUALLY INSTALLED ON A READY-TO-RIDE BIKE

ALSO I LOVE HEFEWEIZEN WITH a slice of lemon

im partially drunk

and fuck you

youre a fucking moron

[quote=“lollerskatez”]AND ON THE P.S. FOR THE THREADS SAKE MIGHT I ADD THAT UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY HAVE SHIFTER CABLES ROUTED THROUGH THE SHIFTER AND TENSIONED ONTO THE DERAILLEUR THAT YOU ARE BOTH A: FUCKING UP THE INTERNAL MECHANISMS (so video: fail), AND B: WILL NOT THE FEEL THE TOTAL/ACTUAL EFFECT OF THE SHIFTING ACTION COMPARED TO WHEN IT IS ACTUALLY INSTALLED ON A READY-TO-RIDE BIKE

ALSO I LOVE HEFEWEIZEN WITH a slice of lemon[/quote]

It’s okay. Some day you’ll step up to drinking real grown up beers, rather than the stuff that our wives drink when we take them to breweries.

:*

alcohol is alcohol you babay betch, my taste buds prefer what your wife enjoys, therefore i fuk ur wife when u are not lookin

evo VIII ?? or evo IX ???