STP Thread

A few of you guys said in another thread you were planning on doing STP this summer so I thought I’d make a thread about it. Anyone else plan on riding it? 2 day or 1 day route? Who’s done it before? Tips, advice, plans, etc. put it in this thread.

I’m in the process of getting my registration/lodging/ride to Seattle details in the works today. My plan is the one day route… should be a good time.

I’ll be riding the one day. This will be the first time for me so I would like to hear some advice from other riders who have done this. What gear to bring, precautions, or anything etc.

I still have no idea if I’m doing this or not. I hope I am, but we’ll see.

Edit - I’ll only do it if tarckee tows me.

I am probably not doing it since the lady’s birthday is on the 11th. Also, I am way out of shape.

My advice is start early and skip the REI food stop. The first 20 miles or so are a total clusterfuck, so the quicker you can get out of heavy traffic, the better.

Yeah I was kind of puzzled when I saw there was a stop in mile 11…

Stone Temple Pilots?

This looks like fun but it’s pretty expensive. I might be into just riding a long way in Washington sometime in the next couple months though.

that is one of the main reasons I’m not doing it, but hopefully next year I won’t be as broke since it seems like one of those things I should do. Caledonian Etape in May and STP in Summer, hopefully.

damn, this sounds fun as hell. very tempting as i have yet to visit seattle or portland, but was hoping to this summer.

I concur… the expense is a bitch to ride a bike 200 miles.

I concur… the expense is a bitch to ride a bike 200 miles.[/quote]

Maybe, but it’s a very well supported ride. When I did it in one day I flatted about 30 miles from Portland, and (even though I had already gotten out my pump and tire levers) within minutes there was a small army of people asking if I needed help. It was kind of ridiculous.

It’s probably worth mentioning that the ride is sold out. So if you haven’t bought your way in yet, prepare to drop some scalper $$$.

maybe next year? hmm.

I might just pirate it…
Depends if i have a bike I’d be willing to do it on.

There are usually plenty on cl that aren’t marked up if you respond to enough you can probably get one.

With the huge number of people you can keep your nose out of the wind for pretty much the entire ride which is nice but means you shouldn’t ride it like you normally would a double. People seem to ride the first 15-20 miles faster than the rest and riding with them will help you a lot later on so starting off fast may actually be advisable.

[quote=dutret]
With the huge number of people you can keep your nose out of the wind for pretty much the entire ride which is nice but means you shouldn’t ride it like you normally would a double. People seem to ride the first 15-20 miles faster than the rest and riding with them will help you a lot later on so starting off fast may actually be advisable.[/quote]

There’s a lot of traffic in the first 20 miles - the first 10 in particular. Avoiding the idiots and staying upright should be the top priorities, but sure. There are plenty of opportunities to tag onto a group.

can’t wait.

I’m down to ride this route pretty much any time before September, if anyone is interested.

It would also be fun to do this as a race… For instance; $50 buy in, 60/25/15 split for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.