Stubborn Pedal Removal

Anyone got any tips on removing an old crappy LOOK clipless pedal (Can’t believe they were this big and heavy in the past) that won’t seem to budge worth a damn?

I managed to get one off after fighting with it, standing on it, letting it soak in oil overnight, standing on it again… I don’t think anyone greased the threads before they put these on many, many years ago. The other pedal won’t move. It’s to the point where I can stand on it and the 15mm wrench will flex and slip off or start grinding the edges off the pedal. Is there a wrench size smaller than 15mm but bigger than 14mm?

Kill it with fire?

try an english sized wrench for an in between size or use an adjustable wrench. Or you could get hitech and use a pedal wrench. Try this too…

Hah, I have access to a pedal wrench but this pedal says “fuck you” to a pretty good Stanley wrench. Maybe I’m just underestimating a the power of a Park Tool.

How long does it need to soak with liquid wrench? Need to have this done by tonight.

Just to cover all bases…

your turning it the correct way?

make sure you are turning teh right way
then use more leverage

^^^^i was just about to say the same thing because i always forget which way each side is supposed to turn.

just remember to turn towards the rear of the bike to loosen on both sides

Left pedal left hand thread…but you know this…

If the crank is aluminum and all else fails, a very light tickle with a torch will expand the female thread, Have wrench ready to go to work before it cools.

Just a little heat. don’t over do it.

[quote=“dooktruck”]make sure you are turning teh right way
then use more leverage[/quote]
Like a 4’ pipe that will slip over the wrench. Just make sure you don’t strip it.

Does the pedal have an allen wrench hole? if so an allen wrench on a long socket wrench might increase your leverage and solve your stripping problems

[quote=“DDYTDY”]
If the crank is aluminum and all else fails, a very light tickle with a torch will expand the female thread, Have wrench ready to go to work before it cools.

Just a little heat. don’t over do it.[/quote]

I’ve always been curious about this. Seems like it would work though.

Yeah left pedals are left hand threaded and right side pedals are right hand threaded so make sure you turn it the right way but’m sure you have.

Whack it with a big hammer. Use a sturdy wrench held solidly in place. The sudden impact works.
Other than that, long pipe (junk seatpost) over the wrench.

[quote=“Quinn8it”]Just to cover all bases…

your turning it the correct way?[/quote]

Oh yeah, this ain’t my first rodeo. The thing is just a struggle. I’m pretty sure using an allen on the back of the pedal would snap the key. I’m thinking about using the english sized wrench like VT Tallbike suggested and an old seat post like someone else suggested. If I had a torch, I’d even try that.

I tried the torch thing once and completely stripped the crank. Never again.

[quote=“m4bandit”][quote=“Quinn8it”]Just to cover all bases…

your turning it the correct way?[/quote]

Oh yeah, this ain’t my first rodeo. The thing is just a struggle. I’m pretty sure using an allen on the back of the pedal would snap the key. I’m thinking about using the english sized wrench like VT Tallbike suggested and an old seat post like someone else suggested. If I had a torch, I’d even try that.[/quote]

an allen socket w/ a 1/2" drive breaker bar could work. if you don’t have that, a 3/8" drive socket w/ a section of pipe on it as suggested above. buenas noches, y buena suerte.

liquid wrench+ 4 foot cheater bar on a thick pedal wrench. that will take it off, i cannot garuntee that your cranks threads will remain intact though, but at this point nothing will…short of putting the crank arm on a milling machine and carfully milling out the centre of the spindle almost to the threads, crushing the spindle and then pullig it out(more work than its worth anyone?).

also you mentioned there was no grease applied at the time of installation…your cranks are likely aluminium, the spindle likely steel. this is probably the worst combination ever, seeing that when the metals oxide they pretty much bond.

fastest option is a spare crank arm :wink:

[quote=“m4bandit”]Anyone got any tips on removing an old crappy LOOK clipless pedal (Can’t believe they were this big and heavy in the past) that won’t seem to budge worth a damn?

I managed to get one off after fighting with it, standing on it, letting it soak in oil overnight, standing on it again… I don’t think anyone greased the threads before they put these on many, many years ago. The other pedal won’t move. It’s to the point where I can stand on it and the 15mm wrench will flex and slip off or start grinding the edges off the pedal. Is there a wrench size smaller than 15mm but bigger than 14mm?

Kill it with fire?[/quote]

nevermind.
standard size maybe?

take two hammers, put one on one side of the crank, hit other side. repeat all around crank end. works a lot of the time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA i can’t stop laughing at that. you fucking rule dude!

I had the same problem recently… What I did was used a pedal wrench on the pedal and a 8mm hex on the crank bolt to hold the crankset in place (road bike). Using a breaker bar on each tool, it started to tighten the crank bolt, then the pedal broke free and was loose. No problems with the threads. I greased them and reinstalled. :bear:

Haha, epic. I think I’ll try this when I get a chance. I couldn’t get it off that night and ran out of time. Made my friend do a group ride ghetto-style on one clipless pedal and one cheap-o MTB style pedal. Funny shit. Thanks for all the tips, guys. Oh and the allen in the back of the pedal… I stripped. It’s zero fun.

Next step if bward’s advice doesn’t work is taking my Dremel and grinding the medal until the 14mm wrench fits super tight.