Stupid Fucking Conti Tubulars

What’s the deal here? I got a slow leak flat on my rear Conti Tempo last Sunday at the track. Track only tires, and race-only for that matter… no training on them. 3 race days in and it went out. I’d pass that as a fluke normally, but today my front Tempo got a slow leak as well after tonight’s race. What the fuck Continental? Not to mention all races have been like 10 miles or less…

So, anyone know if a warranty/return is even a possibility? I ordered the tires at Probikekit and checked there and Conti’s site, but both are vague as hell about anything like that. Shop workers, you guys ever had luck on something like this with a customer?

aren’t the tempo a super lightweight track tire?
shoulda got something a little tougher it seems. especially for an outdoor track.

good luck with any kinda warranty.
you could patch them…or send them to tire alert to get retubed and new basetape.

also check the valve stem core, replace, or atleast make sure it’s tight.

tufo goop?

Tempos are light TT/track tires but they advertise them as a good weekly race tire, exactly what I’m doing on them…

I put Stan’s Tire Sealant in the rear after it happened and will probably try the same on the front before pulling it off. The rear is holding full air now but we’ll see when it gets back on the track…

Thanks for the advice.

doofo goop?

all you haters drink my milk

i laughed way too hard at this^

as far as i’ve encountered, as soon as a tire touches the ground it’s as good as dead as far as the manufacturer is concerned. especially with a tubular as soon as a drop of glue touches it, they could care less…

Yep, that’s what I was afraid of. It’s quite hard to plead your case when it comes to tires… I guess my only hope would be asking PBK if they knew anything of a defective shipment or something.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good flat-proof road tubular? I was between GP4000S and Competitions, and both seem nearly the same besides the tread pattern.

Continental has a pretty good warranty - one year on defects. If you can somehow prove that your tire was defective, you might be in luck.

Otherwise, send the tire to that guy who will put a new tube in and sew it back up with new basetape. I think that costs $25.

I thought my conti’s rode rather solidly. I think you’ll find everyone has a different opinion of tubulars and tires in general (hello pro2s vs. gp4000s)

I personally use vittorias, but for road. Not track. Im a poseur.

Hmm, I know we warranty Conti’s often enough, for nothing more than blown sidewalls even.

Just how slow is this slow leak? I know some tubulars won’t last 24 hours without needing refilling.

First one… around 20 minutes.

Second one… around 45 minutes.

my new conti sprinter is holding up fine
(knock on wood)

I do not believe it would work - Tufo kinda assumes tubeless butyl - to much movement otherwise. Check the pumped wheel in the sink basin for leak place, I’d assume it is valve core if really slow, at least that’s my experience.

Well at least you are better off than this guy:

His tubular rolled off the rim so he took it off and rode on the rim for 1km to get to where his spare wheel was.

Edit: in case it doesn’t show up: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3350918

i think gatorskins are best 4 skidding

haha.