Succumbing to the Dark Side: Jackasses Are Making Me Crazy

Yesterday, the cager waiting in an oncoming lane to left turn was apparently yielding to my right of way until the last moment when he decided to turn anyway. After barely avoiding crash, I have u-turned and followed him to the parking lot - he was apologetic but stupid, repeating- “I haven’t seen you”. It turned out I know him - he was a friend of an acquaintance. I was glad I wasn’t using more explicit language.

did you ulock him up side the head?

Fucking drivers in the 'burbs today honking at me for being on the road.

today while going up a hill, I moved to the side for a car to pass me. While he went by he flipped me the bird… for being courteous?

I was pedaling down a one way residential street downhill, so I have a substantial amount of speed. I troll to the left of the parked cars when i notice I’m coming up to a guy who is freshly parked and about to exit his vehicle. I make eye contact with him in his side view and give a loud yelp to insure that he has seen me.

As I’m passing him he OPENS his door and smacks my rear wheel with a good amount of force. I pinball against the car on the the left of me that is going 25 and come to a stop. The car I hit stops also.

The older dude that doored me jumps out of his car and is clearly angry. He then says, and I’m not making this up, “You shouldn’t be riding in the street; I didn’t even know you were there!”

If he wasn’t elderly he would have gotten a u-lock to the knee caps… but being the gentleman I am I just informed him I was in the right and he was the one who should pay more attention.

BUT THEN! as I am checking over my bike to make sure everything is in order he calls me a “Fucking faggot”

Shitty.

A u-lock to the sideview mirror would have been appropriate in that situation. It’s not like he was using it.

why didnt you call the cops…

Man and I thought I had problems! LOL

It’s been much better all week, no jackassery amongst the local populace to report.

Of course, tomorrow is a brand new exciting weekend day… I’m sure the jackasses will be out in full force since the forecast is for beautiful weather. Woot?!

I’ve noticed jackasses are very sensitive to changes in the weather.

[quote=BlissMilitia]I was pedaling down a one way residential street downhill, so I have a substantial amount of speed. I troll to the left of the parked cars when i notice I’m coming up to a guy who is freshly parked and about to exit his vehicle. I make eye contact with him in his side view and give a loud yelp to insure that he has seen me.

As I’m passing him he OPENS his door and smacks my rear wheel with a good amount of force. I pinball against the car on the the left of me that is going 25 and come to a stop. The car I hit stops also.

The older dude that doored me jumps out of his car and is clearly angry. He then says, and I’m not making this up, “You shouldn’t be riding in the street; I didn’t even know you were there!”

If he wasn’t elderly he would have gotten a u-lock to the knee caps… but being the gentleman I am I just informed him I was in the right and he was the one who should pay more attention.

BUT THEN! as I am checking over my bike to make sure everything is in order he calls me a “Fucking faggot”

Shitty.[/quote]

Did you just sit there and take that shit? What the hell.

This is also why you don’t ride in the door-zone, nobody looks before opening their door, ever.

+1
Should have slashed that dick’s tires.

[quote=pirate]+1
Should have slashed that dudes dick.[/quote]

sitd

[quote=pirate]+1
Should have slashed that dick’s tires.[/quote]

Because that would’ve made the world a better place.

[quote=halbritt][quote=pirate]+1

Because that would’ve made the world a better place.[/quote]

Maybe just one slashed tire then. That would be fair. And he would still be able to swap it out for the spare.

[quote=halbritt][quote=pirate]+1

Because meekly running away with your tail between your legs when someone endangers your life because they are too lazy, selfish and entitled to check over their shoulder makes the world a better place.

I have pretty much the opposite problem. Just moved to Corvallis, OR and cars keep stopping for me and waving me across the street like I’m using a walker or something. Old ladies in SUVs are stopping in the middle of traffic to wave me across the street. But they don’t control all the lanes and I suspect it’s a plot to get me smeared by the Buick in the next lane over. It’s like these people are getting a check at the end of the week for every shitty driving too slow and frequently stopping where you shouldn’t dumbass move. I know it’s a ridiculous complaint, but when you start treating bikers like inept pedestrians the rules break down again and eventually we’re both going to get hit. I just wait patiently, shake my head no, and wait for the guy to figure out he’s being a jackass for stopping in the middle of the road because of some moral high ground driving technique.

[quote=pirate][quote=halbritt][quote=pirate]+1

Because meekly running away with your tail between your legs when someone endangers your life because they are too lazy, selfish and entitled to check over their shoulder makes the world a better place.[/quote]

Well, does it REALLY have to be those two extremes? You’re either a coward, running away. Or you’re coming out swinging, aiming to get locked up overnight??

If you thought it may have been innocent, maybe try and explain to the geezer that bicyclists have the right to the road as much as a car, and to maybe pay attention since he himself can be injured if the biker hits him and the door. If you were sure he made eye contact and did it purposefully, hell you could call the cops and try to report an assault. Just do it in front of him, because it probably wouldn’t pan out :stuck_out_tongue:

I had some guy kick me last weekend. I tried like hell to put a cleat in his face, but I’m small and I got pulled off and he split. That shit ruined my whole weekend.

I had a few words for the old man… There was more damage to his door than my rig. I now have a rear wheel thats pretty bad out of true, but in all fairness it was due up for a good truing anyways. No one was hurt and he was just being a senile old fart… I was brought up to respect my elders.

I think I was a little too shaken up to call the cops and my history with cops handling bike related matters isn’t exactly a winning one. Nothing is gonna get solved with violence or vandalism in this situation. I know that makes me a pussy, but I also had some weed on me and flask in my mess bag and I’m a little underage.

Now it’s just a good story and a fucked up wheel.