Souplesse Casings and Bike Soup - The Tire Thread

huh, damn, 95 psi is not fucking around for tubeless. I weigh 210 and was running some Sector 28s at like 73r 58f, if memory serves.

The burping does worry me, but I’ve not seen much of it with any of the tubeless road setups I’ve tried. The roads around here aren’t that bad, though, and I do minimal gravel.

I am irrationally happy that a manufacturer has taken up 650b wheels for tiny road bikes.

This is a really great idea.

Yeah, I drop the running pressure of 28s quite a lot; I fill Nomad 28s to ~80psi and I ride them down to about ~50psi before they start to bottom out on railroad tracks. The Ones start to get downright slushy when they get down to that point (I’m at ~200 pounds these days.)

I had no luck with some Schwalbe G-One Speed in 30mm - either a bit stiff at around 67-72 or a bit wallowy under significant cornering at about 5psi less. Dunno how similar they were in construction to the Pro One, but it seemed as if they had a vanishingly small performance window for me.

Take the tiny bike chat over here:

What 650b disc rim has a narrow enough inner dimension to play nice with a 25mm tire? Most I know are pretty wide?

What’s the go to cyclocross tubeless tire brand for actual cyclocross? He already has tubular, just has a set of wheels for any rapidly changing conditions so one set would be nice to have ready without the expense of too many sets of tubulars.

The Canyons come with a DT E1800 wheelset.

everyone seems to be on the vittorias lately

1 Like

Whatever one canyon has made for them.

nothing buy love for donnelly over here. i only wish they would come out with the LAS in tubeless.

1 Like

3x flats on my Horizons in 24 hours led to ordering the 48mm Gravel Kings cuz cheap and wanted to try something different.

Set up great, seated at around 35psi on my i25 rims. Put em at 25psi to ride home from work and holy shit they are the least comfortable tires I’ve ever ridden. Riding milled road surface was pretty much unnoticeable on Horizons but on the GKs the vibration goes right on up to my hands.

That said, only rode for 30 minutes so hoping for improvement.

Installed my first tubeless today! Came with Trail Kings, now I have Thunder Burts. Pumping below 40psi is weird…

How many flats did you get? I bet riding on balloon animals would feel pretty supple for 10 feet. It’s about balance between comfort and reliability.

You were riding horizons with tubes? I had the same experience. Went from horizons to gravelkings and was shocked at how slow the gravelkings felt. The horizons went back on 2 days later

My take from bikeshopland - GKs are a revelation to people who’ve been riding on gatorskins etc for a long time. Most of the people IRL who’ve raved about them to me had recently switched from some might-as-well-be-solid-rubber tire to GKs. I don’t know any supplelyfe adherents who’re running GKs.

Interesting. I went GK because the consensus here was that Horizons weren’t exactly supple and that the GK was closer to Compass without the price. Previous tires to GK were Pari Motos and Soma GR.

I won’t spend compass money on tires that aren’t known for decent flat protection.

I’ve tried the GK slicks in four different sizes and they’ve been wildly inconsistent in ride quality. The 650bx42 and 700cx38 have been good, more supple than not and roll well. The 650bx48 and 700x32 ride like iron, worse than gatorskins. They feel like injection molded plastic in your hand.

I had serious flat issues with the first supple tires (Hetres) I used but since then I’ve had no flats on the 3 compass tires I’ve worn out. Tubeless seems to resolve the issue, even if the sidewalls do get a little weepy after a couple thousand miles.

2 Likes

I had gk 650x42 and liked them.

They were not as good as the compass but they were more robust and needed less milk.