Tarck ass locks

Hey is the Evolution Mini about the smallest (and still useful) U-lock?
I need something small and light for quick rides and to use when im not in the states.
Any other suggestions? I dont want any WalMart U-locks that can be broken with a kick but my NY Lock is overkill in Japan.

I think the Evo Mini and the OnGuard Bulldog Mini are the same size, and yeah, that’s as small as they get unless you want one of those tiny ones that is meant to secure a cable.

Nice…thanks.
Now i just need to find the cheapest one or a used one.

Oops, it’s the Pitbull Mini that is on par with the protection of the Evo, I think the Bulldog is less secure. Amazon has them for $35.

http://www.amazon.com/OnGuard-PitBull-5 ... i_-1_6_tit

Cool thanks. I think ill try to get the Evo. I like the looks of them and the other ones i have.

The evolution is a lot ‘nicer’ than you need for nihon. Get one of the lower level kryptonite locks that’s about the same size (their site should list dimensions).

Yeah I agree but according to their site, none of the other locks are that small. The closest one is 2 inches longer. :frowning:

i have that one thats 2 inches longer.

its nice because im not afraid of it falling out of my belt while riding.

-j

the bulldog and pitbull minis have the same security rating on onguard’s website. they even appear to be the same dimensions. i dunno what the difference is.

Can’t beat an Evo Mini.

If it were possible to lock up just with the Fahgettaboudit chain’s u-lock, I would.

I have an OnGuard Bulldog Mini TC that I use almost daily and love very much. It cost me $25 and is rated nominally higher than the Kryptonite Evolution Mini. That said, I’ve felt both, and the Evolution definitely feels more “substantial,” which might be the difference between getting your bike fucked with or not.

I use a evolution mini for day-day locking, I doubt you could really get much smaller and still be able to comfortably lock up at a lot of places.

evo mini for me too. definitely small, and i never really feel that worried about my bike. can still get wheel/frame in there, and ive got another smaller cable in my bag if if feel like locking up the other wheel.

About a week ago I was seeing what looked like anodized aluminum mini u-locks on eBay…can’t seem to find them now. These would be useless for more than just a quick bodega stop here in the US but may fit the bill in Japan.

This person has made a blog post about it here erroneously describing them as Columbus u-locks:
http://ofixiepixieo.blogspot.com/2008/01/columbus-u-lock.html

Looks like they used to sell them at Blue Lug but are sold out now, you could inquire to see if they are getting more in the future.

[quote=“nuvo”]About a week ago I was seeing what looked like anodized aluminum mini u-locks on eBay…can’t seem to find them now. These would be useless for more than just a quick bodega stop here in the US but may fit the bill in Japan.

This person has made a blog post about it here erroneously describing them as Columbus u-locks:
http://ofixiepixieo.blogspot.com/2008/01/columbus-u-lock.html

Looks like they used to sell them at Blue Lug but are sold out now, you could inquire to see if they are getting more in the future.[/quote]

Yeah they sell those at Tokyu Hands. I thought about one of those but Im not sure if i even want one. Im sure theyre junk.

my bulldog mtb stopped working, luckily off my bike.

But it has a Columbus sticker!
It must be quality!

I use an Evo Mini.
It works great, but I never lock up outside overnight and am usually either within view of my bike or just making a quick run inside.

the evo mini is great except that you can’t lock around the frame and a wheel in most cases unless the pole is pretty thin. you can get it from amazon for 45 with free shipping which is great too as theyre usually 65 plus tax around here.

Save $0.21 by buying it on ebay. I got mine from this seller.

Or take your chances on a real auction and try to get it even cheaper.