Tarck is not dead, it just smells funny.

yeah i dont even ride with my fixie bros anymore.

they still spending retarded money on making their cinellis more blingy and kidding themselves about how fast they are

I think it gets to a point of saturation. I ride my fixed gear more than my road bike, but there’s only so much you can talk about regarding a fixed gear bike before you just get sick of the same questions or discussions. I’ve always got the impression that everyone here basically felt the same.

I still ride my sweet fixie around, but i just don’t find most of my commuting to be conversation worthy. don’t think there’s any need to waste bandwidth on “commuted 10 miles on my fixed gear, did some skids, did a few trackstands, and got cut off by a car. weather was okay, but got cold after the sun went down”

people love gossip. hell, i love gossip. and what better gossip is there than shitting on shitty bikes.

on the topic of ridership, it’s kinda changing here in davis. before it was people who were already into bikes, had at least one good road or mountain bike, and had the fixed gear as kind of a secondary fun bike. then a couple years ago it switched to the average fixed rider was someone who wanted a bike with skinny tires for super cheap. instead of having a group of like 20 people who love cycling and have a genuine interest in riding (and thus nice bikes for better riding), it’s now hundreds of people on shitty villanos and drafts because it was cheap and they think it’ll make them so fast in their between-class commuting.

a lot of my friends have tried selling their fixies to spend more on derailleured machines, but somehow always end up on some good deal they find on craigslist. last wednesday we all went out for a ride again and it was nice seeing that not everyone on fixed gear bikes is totally slow and in it for looks or whatever (though we did drop a few people, they rode by the end point about 40 minutes later and ignored us when we asked if everything was okay…)

the fixie group around here is basically a bunch of roadie bike jocks who wanna ride in normal shoes and jeans. most of them have legitimate, well set up bikes with brakes. in fact, a lot of fixed gear riders in this area are just regular, unfashionable folks that for some reason or another, have found themselves atop sweet fixies. fucks, as it seems, are no longer given. it’s rare to even see anybody who even gives a shit about riding bikes, like riding with lights at night or having proper saddle height.

^ yeah i been getting that impression about the idgaf people on fixies. maybe i should go try to bro down with those roadie dudes though, i could use a group ride to work my way in to.

a month or so ago i was coming home at night on the 26er and some very non-descript dude pulls the fly by then slow way down maneuver on me on a windsor ss with a droopy ass chain and no lights, so i just hold pace, go by him and let him ride my wheel so he can piggy back on my lighting. i didn’t really wanna have to talk to him and he didn’t seem to want to either so i was cool with it.

bout a mile or so later i catch a red and he blows it to get caught in traffic at a light half a block later. i ride up on him while he’s still waiting and he looks back and starts turning himself inside out to stay ahead so i just give him 50ft or so for the next mile before making my turn.

i had some audible chuckles, don’t think he heard though.

sorry, wrong thread for that.

I’m kinda hoping that when the road bike is finished I won’t even want to ride my fixed anymore.

Get better, dude!

I don’t like riding fixed and I always thought riding a track bike on the street was pretty silly. That said, if I did like riding fixed or riding track bikes or riding tacky matchy-match tarck bikes I would be pretty giddy over all of it having fallen out of fashion, as they’re now so uncool that they’re cool again. There were lots of crazy old freds riding fixed before the whole thing blew up and they’re still riding the same bikes now that the bubble has popped, and worse things than being like them.

nah, you’ll have the itch to ride it. kind of like a mountain bike with slicks in the “urban environment”

[quote=white folks]they still spending retarded money on making their cinellis more blingy and kidding themselves about how fast they are[/quote]this pretty much.

an old dude on an old custom english fixed conversion with fenders smoked me the other day around the lake.
I think the old guys who rode fixed to train in shitty weather still ride fixed in shitty weather and never rode party fouls to begin with. if that’s what you mean by normal dudes.

rode into work on thursday in the rain with an old dude on a sweet fixxie. Disc cross fork, full fenders etc. Guy used it as his winter bike. They are around.

[quote=Sneaky Viking]an old dude on an old custom english fixed conversion with fenders smoked me the other day around the lake.
I think the old guys who rode fixed to train in shitty weather still ride fixed in shitty weather and never rode party fouls to begin with. if that’s what you mean by normal dudes.[/quote]

yeah there’s a whole crew of old guys who still do fixed rides at least once or twice a week

but no one ever sees them they get up way too early…

yep, just us handsome motherfuckers left now.

was waiting till the bubble popped and the cool kids moved on so that I could buy a sweet fixie again on the cheap. did that already happen?

lol

i always used to wonder why i never see people out on my road rides, but realized it’s probably cause most people probably get out early enough so that they don’t always end up racing the sun to get home before dark.

this thread is not very good.

TBQH, at least around here, shit went south when it went from riding bikes and having fun, to like, hug-a-thon vegan baked good cupcake bike prom “having fun” which, is good in of itself, I guess, it’s just not really appealing to my elitist/adrenaline based rush from cycling.

I guess I just moved on from the whole “regular dudes on fixie” crew. It’s really young crew now around here (like late teen/early 20s) and I have a girlfriend and I actually for real race bikes now instead of caring about monstertrack or whatever dumb alleycat is coming up. Real bike racing takes everything I like about alleycats (riding bikes really fast) but takes away all the stupid stuff I didn’t like about them (like straight up juvenile antics at checkpoints) and then adds more fun stuff, like wearing spandex and shaving your legs.

I still ride my fixay everywhere in the city, but I just can’t really muster up the care to spend all night riding a total of like 10 miles slowly around the city.

THIS so fucking much.

As much as I want to go out an do this kind of stuff (if for no other reason they to rep my shop, shitty I know) I just can’t bring myself to do it. By the time I get off work I want to ride home, feast, and spend time with my wife.

It’s gotten to the point that I’ll skip the Sunday fixed gear bandit races because I would rather just get in a beast 3 hour ride in instead. Oh well… still LOVE riding a brakeless track bike home from work at night when it’s getting warmer.

Exactly. I’d much rather ride a 50 mile solo ride outside of the city where I’m climbing up hills, enjoying the descents, just getting some miles on the legs.

I also love riding my brakeless fixaaay fast. I should start a spandex’ed out fixay crew.

[quote=FIXIE STAR]TBQH, at least around here, shit went south when it went from riding bikes and having fun, to like, hug-a-thon vegan baked good cupcake bike prom “having fun” which, is good in of itself, I guess, it’s just not really appealing to my elitist/adrenaline based rush from cycling.

I guess I just moved on from the whole “regular dudes on fixie” crew. It’s really young crew now around here (like late teen/early 20s) and I have a girlfriend and I actually for real race bikes now instead of caring about monstertrack or whatever dumb alleycat is coming up. Real bike racing takes everything I like about alleycats (riding bikes really fast) but takes away all the stupid stuff I didn’t like about them (like straight up juvenile antics at checkpoints) and then adds more fun stuff, like wearing spandex and shaving your legs.

I still ride my fixay everywhere in the city, but I just can’t really muster up the care to spend all night riding a total of like 10 miles slowly around the city.[/quote]

then beat your krew into shape, we were doing our 10ish mile ride in about a half hour.

and comparing alleycats to sanctioned races is stupid. that’s like saying you don’t like to smoke the jetta revving his engine at you because you’ve done a few autocross events. dumb fun is dumb and fun.