that shit won't fly...

Does anybody here have experience with trying to get cranks, saddles or drop bars onto an airplane in carry on luggage? I’m thinkin the saddle is no prob, but the cranks and bars have me worried.

i flew with saddle seatpost and pedals last time no problem. if possible call the airline ahead of time to see what they say.

pretty sure the cranks won’t fly. I recently had this thing (which i received as a gift on my 12th birthday) confiscated:

bummer

[quote=x]pretty sure the cranks won’t fly. I recently had this thing (which i received as a gift on my 12th birthday) confiscated:

bummer[/quote]

Course you did. Look at that thing, Macgyver could destroy a country with something of that capability.

you can send them to yourself general delivery to any post office IF they don’t fly

damnit, i thought this was another thread hating on jackass fixed people

:disappointed:

a friend of mine once explained to me a bunch of different ways i could kill someone with a set of cranks i had sitting on the couch in my room.

[quote=Ranger Rick]damnit, i thought this was another thread hating on jackass fixed people

:disappointed:[/quote]

with or without chainrings?

[quote=toddistic][quote=Ranger Rick]damnit, i thought this was another thread hating on jackass fixed people

:disappointed:[/quote][/quote]

Can you not have checked baggage for some reason?

Considering it’s pretty easy to injure yourself on a chainring anyways, I doubt they would let you bring it on.

They took my headset wrench. Over 7" long or something.

they took my 6" adjustable spanner

I was once told ‘no way’ regarding bringing a Ulock onboard.

That being said; call and talk to someone from the airline in which you’ll be traveling (all of them have different rules) and check their web site. If there is a discrepancy be prepared to present a print out, in person, of what you found online.

Yea why not just check yo shit in?

They took my 8mm crescent wrench! No shit. A ulock makes sense as you could definitely kill someone with it, but this wrench was the size of my middle finger. I think what you can bring on really depends on the whim of the security guy. Personally I won’t carry anything remotely weapon-y in my carry on.

im hoping my bikebox will fly as checked baggage.

My old coworker got detained for bringing her track cogs in her carry-on luggage. They thought that they were ninja throwing-stars or some shit like that.

It definitely can happen, even if the airline is supposed to charge you extra. I’ve done it a bunch of times. Make sure the box is not overweight (resist the temptation to load it up with a lot of other stuff) dress nice, smile, make polite conversation, etc.

thanks, ive been told that they arent as concerned about size as they are about weight.
any advice on how to sweet talk em if they say something?
would it be a bad idea to say “what? ive used this suitcase all the time with [insert thier airline company here], what do you mean its too big?”