The Jury Duty Workaround

So I was chosen for jury duty on a criminal trial that’s expected to last three weeks… minimum. There’s no way I’m driving every day for that period, so I pulled out the local bike map and laid out a route. This morning the weather looked promising so I set out with my pack containing clean clothes, shoes, and the standard spare tubes, patch kit, CO2, and a 15mm wrench.

After waiting in line to go through the court metal detectors for a good 10 minutes my bag gets confiscated at the x-ray machine. Come to find out CO2 cartridges and wrenches are not allowed in court and I need to go dispose of them off court property. Nice… I stash the cartridges and wrench under a sand bag holding down a lane closure sign in the middle of the street and get in the end of the line. Fortunately, my stash was untouched at the end of the day.

So tonight I’m trying something new. I hid two blacked out CO2 cartridges and filler nozzle under the saddle. They squeeze in between the saddle rails beautifully. Also taped under the saddle is my 3mm wrench for the water bottle cage bolts. (Most cage bolts require a 4mm, but these are 3mm for some reason.) In place of the water bottle cage is my trusty, drilled-out 15mm wrench.

I’m off to give this a try tomorrow. Wish me luck, and hope that no passer-byers have a need for CO2 and a 15mm wrench… or worse, that they think the hidden CO2 is some kind of bomb sitting in front of the courthouse. :colbert:

whoa, nice bike.

is that frame or the fork custom?

or did you add the disc mounts later?

[quote=“biekridder”]whoa, nice bike.

is that frame or the fork custom?

or did you add the disc mounts later?[/quote]
I had disc tabs welded to the original fork. It’s worked out very well, actually. Wet breaking is actually predictable and I have reasonable modulation. There’s more about my bike at the link in my sig.

Note to self. Drill out the 15mm wrench I always carry around and mount it on frame with unused bottle cage bolts.

MacGuyver as fuck.

Someone will most likely think that is a bomb.

nicest bike i’ve seen in a long time.

I was hoping for tips to avoid selection. Guess who else got a summons. Fuck.

I personally don’t think anyone will notice the CO2 canisters… really doubt it. I’d be more worried about some jackass stealing the bike… which is quite nice BTW!

Have you tried bringing CO2 canisters and a 15mm wrench with you? Apparently that works.

Thanks for the kind words about my stead. I’m quite pleased with how it turned out.

I just call them back and point out that I am not a citizen, they don’t ask for your Alien Registration number or anything…

On a related note I just received a subpoena, can’t really get out of that one!

Great idea.

Buy a road morph and bring it inside because someone is going to think that’s a bomb. Seriously bad idea. The wrench is probably fine how you have it.

99.99% of all people are not going to look closely enough at your bike to notice that the co2. Those who do will likely know what it is.

I got called for jury duty the day before I moved to college. It was a great way to spend my last day at home.

Somehow records in the town I grew up in got fucked up so they have a COMPLETELY random name that my ma is convinced is me and I just filled a form out with poor handwriting once.

“Glen J Nilroy” which only has my middle initial correct. So every once and a while I get a notice about jury duty, then one about skipping it, then a summons. Over and over and over again. I wonder if I can vote twice?

Somehow records in the town I grew up in got fucked up so they have a COMPLETELY random name that my ma is convinced is me and I just filled a form out with poor handwriting once.

“Glen J Nilroy” which only has my middle initial correct. So every once and a while I get a notice about jury duty, then one about skipping it, then a summons. Over and over and over again. I wonder if I can vote twice?

Listen Nilroy… you are in big trouble.

[quote=“NitroPye”]Somehow records in the town I grew up in got fucked up so they have a COMPLETELY random name that my ma is convinced is me and I just filled a form out with poor handwriting once.

“Glen J Nilroy” which only has my middle initial correct. So every once and a while I get a notice about jury duty, then one about skipping it, then a summons. Over and over and over again. I wonder if I can vote twice?[/quote]

That is too funny…I love when cities mess up the names on stuff. I used to get mail from colleges to a Thiago Hoyer.

[quote=“blickblocks”][quote=“NitroPye”]Somehow records in the town I grew up in got fucked up so they have a COMPLETELY random name that my ma is convinced is me and I just filled a form out with poor handwriting once.

“Glen J Nilroy” which only has my middle initial correct. So every once and a while I get a notice about jury duty, then one about skipping it, then a summons. Over and over and over again. I wonder if I can vote twice?[/quote]

That is too funny…I love when cities mess up the names on stuff. I used to get mail from colleges to a Thiago Hoyer.[/quote]
Listen Thiago… you forgot to pick up your Harvard diploma.