The LBS Shitlist: the good, the bad, and the... ugly?

Let’s go. I plan on riding from my house up into the north side of Napa where I work one of these days, to get an overall feel for how long it will take me and how out of shape I am. So I can man up and actually start commuting. It’s about 13 miles one way.

ill fuckin ride with you

Tour of Nevada CIty seems to only be in business cause they are maginally better than the other even lamer ones around. Their stuff is way overpriced, and for a shop, really disappointed me in their knowledge. I was trying to go out of my way to give them my business to buy a surly lht, and they quoted me $1800! One would think that when customers have access to things like the internet, a shop might try to me a little more accomodating. This quote also came after I had talked to them for a while, eschewing their suggestions that I jsut buy a cross bike instead, making it obvious I wanted to buy a complete bike, they gave me quotes for some similar rides, but then only for the lht frameset.

However, as far as mechanics go, they are the best around here.

[quote=vegwerm]Tour of Nevada CIty seems to only be in business cause they are maginally better than the other even lamer ones around. Their stuff is way overpriced, and for a shop, really disappointed me in their knowledge. I was trying to go out of my way to give them my business to buy a surly lht, and they quoted me $1800! One would think that when customers have access to things like the internet, a shop might try to me a little more accomodating. This quote also came after I had talked to them for a while, eschewing their suggestions that I jsut buy a cross bike instead, making it obvious I wanted to buy a complete bike, they gave me quotes for some similar rides, but then only for the lht frameset.

However, as far as mechanics go, they are the best around here.[/quote]

How the fuck did they rack up an extra $700 on the LHT?

diggin’ on ‘a better cycle’ in portland.

Went into Smart Bike Parts last Tuesday and asked for a Sugino 75 bb. Dude said he could order it for me and it would be there next day. Next day I go in and ask for my shit and other dude is all yeah I saw that shit come in. He digs around in some boxes for a while then asks the owner how much to charge me for my shit. The owner looks at his packing list and yells ‘HOLY SHIT, THAT IS A SICK ASS BOTTOM BRACKET!’ then goes on to say ‘you know what? Charge that dude, charge that dude ninetynine dollars with tax’. I will be back.

[quote=henryclay]

How the fuck did they rack up an extra $700 on the LHT?[/quote]

That’s what I’d like to know. They are dinosaurs, they think that because they deal with pro’s, they can jack theri prices up 40% and feel totally entitled to it.

I should also say something about the shop that I ended up going through though.

Bicycle Bananas in Reno. I orderd the bike over the phone. The guy I talked to could tell I’d done my reasearch, knew what size I wanted, was super nice and accomodating, and even cut me a deal on pedals. All their online sales weemed like pretty good deals and include shipping. Highly recommend.

[quote=vegwerm]Tour of Nevada CIty seems to only be in business cause they are maginally better than the other even lamer ones around. Their stuff is way overpriced, and for a shop, really disappointed me in their knowledge. I was trying to go out of my way to give them my business to buy a surly lht, and they quoted me $1800! One would think that when customers have access to things like the internet, a shop might try to me a little more accomodating. This quote also came after I had talked to them for a while, eschewing their suggestions that I jsut buy a cross bike instead, making it obvious I wanted to buy a complete bike, they gave me quotes for some similar rides, but then only for the lht frameset.

You sure that they were aware that you can buy a LHT complete? Not everyone is in tune to the world of Surly. And depending on the clientele that they normally deal with, it may be the first time that they’ve priced out a LHT before.

favorite shops in portland:
a better cycle
city bikes
west side recyclery

shops to never touch:
bike gallery
east side recyclery

good shops:
cascade
river city (chill mechs)
bike central
veloshop

others i haven’t had enough experience with.

[quote=crushkilldestroy][quote=vegwerm]Tour of Nevada CIty seems to only be in business cause they are maginally better than the other even lamer ones around. Their stuff is way overpriced, and for a shop, really disappointed me in their knowledge. I was trying to go out of my way to give them my business to buy a surly lht, and they quoted me $1800! One would think that when customers have access to things like the internet, a shop might try to me a little more accomodating. This quote also came after I had talked to them for a while, eschewing their suggestions that I jsut buy a cross bike instead, making it obvious I wanted to buy a complete bike, they gave me quotes for some similar rides, but then only for the lht frameset.

You sure that they were aware that you can buy a LHT complete? Not everyone is in tune to the world of Surly. And depending on the clientele that they normally deal with, it may be the first time that they’ve priced out a LHT before.[/quote]

That’s what I’m wondering. My question was half outrage, half honest curiosity. Seems like there’s something else going on there, other than saying “Let’s add 700 to msrp.”

Vitesse in Normal Illinois had no idea what Frame Saver was…never went back again.

Did you talk to a mechanic or a salesperson? That makes a big difference. Most shops don’t stock shit like that anyway, you know.

My favorite LBS in Oakland sold me spokes that they had rolled with undersized threads. Fuckers.

[quote=room203]Bike o Rama - Denton, TX

This place has gone downhill. Maybe it was cool back in the day, but its gotten way worse in the past year. The guy who owns it is ok i guess, once you get past the fact that hes on speed all the time. He is also pretty absent minded and i had to call all the time to get any orders made. he helped me out when i was just getting started with my first build though and didnt care that i brought in hubs and rims i got elsewhere for him to build. took him WAY too long to build my wheels, but he did a good job and only charged $20. he will do stuff for you for free and let you use the stands and tools in the back if you go in there a lot and sees that you know your stuff. the people who work there though are pretty useless. its sad. its like they have a hangover all the time. dealing with them takes so much effort that im pretty much done with that place.

Denton Bicycle Center

only went in once trying to order a moderately priced hub with only one fixed side and nothing on the other, which proved too much for the guy to handle so i was like, “well, thanks for looking, im gonna keep checking around…” then he said cockishly, “or you could just get a bike with gears…” that was the first and last time i went in there. maybe i should give them another chance. that just irked me though.[/quote]

If you combine all three shops in Denton, You get one great shop.
I prefer the staff at Denton Bicycles service. I like all the guys who work there. Always really helpful and knowledgable. Now this is of course you are talking geared road bikes. Selection is limited. Treks only
Bicycle Path has the best selection. Customer service is horrible. They can’t true a wheel for shit.
Except for Gary. You can trust him with any of your bikes. But the guy does have a rep

Bike O Rama - Hands down best prices.
For instance. A set of shimano r540 pedals. path-$78 Denton Bicycle - $80 Bike O - $55
Mark is easily the best mechanic in town. If he ever gets around to actually working on your bike. Never a problem for me. But I have heard stories. Many stories.
That being said. Bike O doesn’t exist anymore. It is now bullseye bikes. New owner. Kevin (last name eludes me right now) Really nice kid but haven’t had any experience with the shop since it opened a couple weeks ago. So if anyone has any info please do share

howd you find the forum?

In the bathroom

sweet. which one? there are several around.

Hailey’s

i like B’s bikes in greenpoint brooklyn. good people.

shitlist:

City Bikes in Adams Morgan, DC: I was literally looked over several times, probably because they were judgemental… they helped people behind me. Most of the time when I walk in, all the salespeople are in a group and act like you’re bothering them by giving the store business. Ugh, they also said they had a specific silver bar and then claimed otherwise 1 hr later when I walked in.

Awesome:

Silver Cycles in Silver Spring, MD: An awesome lady is a mechanic there, I think her name is Linda (def a hero), she kept it real with me and trued my wheel along with many other things for really cheap.

College Park Bicycles in College Park, MD: They let me switch out a lever a few times and then spent 20 min to bang it out to fit my bars, really nice people.

It’d be nice to get recommendations for shops that are within DC