the look out honey coz im usin technology aka the garmin/powertap/srm thread

I think so. How much space is there? the power meter thickness depends on the model (since it contours to fit the crank arm model, so its anywhere from 6-8mm). If you can fit an 8, you should be good.

[quote=Roundabout]1700w? Doubt I could ever hit that (would be 23.3 w/kg for me, best current 5s is like 17). Fortunately/unfortunately I have a very well-defined type of fitness; 3/4 of my top 10 efforts for power numbers from 1s all the way up to 20s were at the end of 4+ hour road races. I put out the same power at the end of an hour long crit as I do at the end of a long, tough road race. Don’t see myself winning a crit this year from anything but a clever move out of a break, but road races with rough parcours got me jazzed.

Season goal: 20min at 4.7 watts/kg[/quote]

Last year in july I was at 4.1 w/kg for 20m.

Last test was 3.9 w/kg, but I paced myself poorly (last 3 minutes my pace was +30w over my 20m average, lots of gas left in the tank). I think if my fitness keeps improving like it has over the last month or two, i will be back up around 4.1 w/kg, at elevation, which will be a pretty good improvement from last year, considering the increase i’d see if i returned to sea level.
I could be just getting fit too early and preparing to tank early, but I don’t think that’s the case. My CTL is in the 60-65 range and only riding 8-10 hours a week. Who knows.

I don’t expect to see any major improvements to my 5s power. Just isn’t in my genetics I don’t think. I didn’t lift at all this year and saw no change from 5s power last year when I was doing squats, box jumps, etc.

Weighed myself today at 141lbs… lowest i’ve weighed in years.

Thanks, Amy. The 8 does juuuuussssttt fit.
Maybe someone at the shop will order one again (they had one right when we ordered the bike). Should have tried right then.

[quote=lwkwafi]Thanks, Amy. The 8 does juuuuussssttt fit.
Maybe someone at the shop will order one again (they had one right when we ordered the bike). Should have tried right then.[/quote]

should be good then. i haven’t heard word of it not fitting. only issues with giants i am familiar with is the angle of the di2 battery (but that’s eastily adjusted by putting some sort of angled washer under it…)

^ That’s a real solid 20 minute, and don’t forget the adjustment for altitude I bet you’re still working with. .2 definitely seems attainable particularly given the pacing. I’m in a similar boat re:altitude - Moved last July to +4800ft and am only feeling now like I’m able to generate similar power numbers as before. Had a few experiences early on of getting 6-7 minutes into my threshold climbing pace and blowing up as I couldn’t get any oxygen. Rode the trainer maybe 4hr a week for two months, and when I went back to CA over christmas and did a century with a bunch of P1’s I was somehow able to not die. My legs felt like shit from the gun but after ten minutes my long were all “I got you LET’S DO THIS” and I felt like a hero. Makes me want to do all my racing at sea level…

Team swap this year means different cx bike/bb standard… so made the decision to add some 7900 cranks to the arsenal and grab another Stages to swap between them.

I was hitting 4.5 for 20 last season when I was ~159, currently sitting ~167 so if I can lose the winter bulk while keeping power where it’s at, I think that might get me close.

Yeah. The 7-8lbs lighter I am right now is why my power is close to what it was before, in w/kg. Numbers are certainly lower.

The hardest part about altitude for me is that I had pacing down really well by feeling pretty in tune with my lactic threshold. I don’t get that here. I run out of oxygen and my legs just stop working. Go back to sea level, legs are on fire and i can ride fast, but i am so sore afterwards from accumulating all that lactic acid.

I feel really comfortable parking it at 270-280w (last season’s best 20m was 279, so that’s a comfortable amount of power for my legs to push), but i simply run out of oxygen. So my last 20m at 250 felt low the whole time, had to be so careful to not overdo it and lose control of my breathing. Head back home and i can push that 270+ still without issue.

dats a lotta watts gurl.

I’m too fat/lazy to make that kind of w/kg. I’m mostly concerned with watts period because I’m mainly a flat crit/ trackie dude. Threshold has never been my strong suit anyway, maybe 320w on a decent day at 180 lbs. Seems like it’s my sub 5 minute numbers which even keep me in the hunt. 700w >1m, 1500w 5 sec. Feels bad to get ridden out of the break doe.

Truth!

Roundabout, you seem to be basically a scaled up version of myself. 17.141w/kg 5s, 4.51w/kg 20m. But, I’m 130-135, ha! I have a similar goal for this year as well. It’s partly out of fear as I’m pretty sure that’s what I need to hang in my current category.

PS, broke my Stages battery door, but they had a replacement (two actually) on my doorstep in 3 days. In the mean time, after the meter dried off (missed one ride, took around 12-20 hours to dry off), I’d just had the old door taped on and it worked fine.

I hafta keep my w/kg up as high as i can get it. by #s I’m putting out more watts than a lot of girls I race against, but lots of women in the 120-130lb range and for most of my years racing, i’ve been about 150lbs. so i have 20-30lbs on competitors (and 40lbs heavier than the JPs of the field). there’s always other women racing in my same weight range, but they’re often off the back on the hills like I am. will be interesting to see if i can do any better when i have a little less muscle mass like i do this year.

good part is the calendar here is dominated by crits, but i’d still like to hang in a road race and not get dropped anytime the hill is more than 1-2 minutes. crits are fun, but i like variety.

just keep dat butt bby

spring racing got nixed when I missed a week with a cold, then passed out after taking a piss (I learned a new term – micturation syncope) Jan 7, landed on my hardwood floor face first, ended up with some missing teeth and multiple displaced facial and nasal fractures that required surgery (a week later – wtf).

but, pre-surgery face gave me this photo op. had to use it. http://www.kentuckyreview.org/index.php/item/372-rkendrickbio

back on the rollers 2 weeks after surgery. 4 weeks on those before I got cleared to ride on the road again. the good part of the picture was that not being able to eat solid food for two weeks and only soft foods for six got me back down to 69kg, which I haven’t seen since 2009.

just finished week 3 on the road. feeling good about getting 5.2 w/kg for ~8 minutes on consecutive climbs, (same times as that w/kg when I had the powertap). I’ve got a power2max coming, but right now I’m just looking at Strava times and comparing watts to efforts 3 years ago.

no 45+ races on the calendar for the rest of the year. looks like I have to race with the youngins.

getting skinny – it works.

this has happened to my friend, a few times. last time it happened i saw him the next day and he said he woke up on his bathroom floor cuz he passed out after taking a pee in the middle of the night and had a big lump on his head. apparently he is doing OK in comparison with your experience…

When you pass out peeing, you’re gonna have a bad time.

Glad you are okay, though.

What was the Tarck preferred garmin mount? Something with a dummy unit?

any of the out front mounts. they’re all basically the same.

i’ve broken both of my barflys, but they still hold the garmin just fine.

I don’t garmin, but I don’t like the way the Sram one holds the Garmin above the stem line. Garmin or Barfly are good. K-edge is cool, just don’t get a gen I version with the exposed cnc tabs, it’ll chew yo shit up.

Like, why you up there? Get down here, you drunk.

Someone has been doing it right for some time now.

I have currently spread across bikes an original Barfly, Barfly 3.0 for mtb/cx, and k-edge aero. Viewing angle from k-edge/barfly 2.0 is vastly superior, and the k-edge looks tidy though not sure what actual aero benefit it might have.

Though I think your bike really needs an orca whale for a stem

It looks just as terrible in person as it does in the pictures. Would be right at home with some enve aero road bars and 6.7 clinchers on an H3 Madone or Synapse.