Threaded seatpost collar on Gitane frame

I’m not sure what the exact term for this is, but this frame has what you could call an integrated collar or clamp - where you just stick the bolt though the tab things on the frame and not a separate clamp. you know what i mean.

anyway, on this gitane bike, one side is threaded. anyone ever dealt with one of these? i dont have a bunch of binder bolts laying around to test and the recessed hole looks like its probably too small for a typical binder bolt anyway. it also isnt notched.

an obvious option here is to just drill out the threads so a normal binder bolt will fit and then grind off the notch, but i really dont want to do that, so what id like to find is a hex key bolt that will work in this.

here’s pretty much what im looking at:

is it broken/why do you need to do this?

That bike is rad.
Is it yours?
What’s wrong with the binderz.

i just dont have the bolt and am trying to locate one

not my bike(s), just ones that have the same setup as the one i have.

ive been looking around more and i think maybe a stem binder bolt might fit in it

Take it to a hardware store. A real one, not a Home Depot/Lowes, should have a huge fastener section. Just try shit out until you find the size/threading.

It looks like an M5, but that’s just a guess based on perception. Try putting a bottle cage bolt in there just to see if the sizing matches up. Bicycle shit is almost always in the metric range, but I’m sure you already knew that.

[quote=“crushkilldestroy”]Take it to a hardware store. A real one, not a Home Depot/Lowes, should have a huge fastener section. Just try shit out until you find the size/threading.

It looks like an M5, but that’s just a guess based on perception. Try putting a bottle cage bolt in there just to see if the sizing matches up. Bicycle shit is almost always in the metric range, but I’m sure you already knew that.[/quote]

this and that.

It is more than likely a standard metric bolt. Make sure you buy stainless.

There is always the possibility that you have stumbled into one of those fiendish French bike eccentricities, though. They were fond of using oddball standards or a thread pitch based on a long dead Prussian Empire standard.

Why does France hate freedom?

Something to do with Rochambeau and a dispute over a large bar bill.

they’s ignant

my kilo and maddy both have this.
it was a 6mm bolt.
stainless.

If it’s an odd frenchy size it would be trivial for someone who knows what they’re doing to tap it for the next metric size up. This would be way slicker than drilling it out and using a regular binder bolt.

It’s called a seat lug btw.

There are places that have these things cheaper, but you can get precisely what you want at McMaster-Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search for metric socket cap screws, choose stainless with a standard head.

[quote=“halbritt”]There are places that have these things cheaper, but you can get precisely what you want at McMaster-Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search for metric socket cap screws, choose stainless with a standard head.[/quote]

awesome. i didnt know what to call them.

and seat lug. that makes too much sense.

the more you know . . .

Are you serious?

Dude, just go to a hardware store. You don’t have to buy everything off of the internet.

he probably doesnt want to have to deal with all the pretentious fucks that work at the hardware stores and give you weird looks when you have to explain why you want to put pipe insulation on your bike…

just kidding i love my neighborhood ace (15th)

Few hardware stores have metric stainless socket cap screws. A local fastener supply like Fastenal might.

http://www.fastenal.com/

It is most likely35mm long M6 with cylindrical head, have I read that before, I’d bring one with me as flying to the US in 10 minutes. Regretfully, not FtW this time :frowning:

[quote=“halbritt”]Few hardware stores have metric stainless socket cap screws. A local fastener supply like Fastenal might.

http://www.fastenal.com/[/quote]

I hate to be too argumentative, but all I’ve done since 1999 is work at hardware stores. I guess I may have just lucked out, but every store I’ve worked at has had stainless socket caps in metric and SAE. If you wanted something super weird like nickel plated, I’d agree though.

fuck off, masini.