Threaded to threadless stem adapter. Yay or nay?

Just lookin’ for opinions. Do these work well?

I just got my Gios and it fits great 'cept the stem is a huge boner. Anyway, rather than look for the appropriate Cinelli stem and because I’m not fond of the bars anyway(Cinelli Crit bars) I’m thinking about getting the Velo Orange stem adapter and matching stem with some Nitto Noodles. I know it goes against the whole Italian theme and it won’t looking as good but I got this bike to ride, not to look at.

:bear:

?

Why not just get a Nitto Pearl? Works fine with a set of Noodles.

It does its job, but I’m not super fond of them. They kind of give you the negatives of both setups.

i considered this setup a while ago. people have different opinions on the adapter.

id rock one just because have a bike to ride, not JUST photograph

[quote=“solbrothers”]i considered this setup a while ago. people have different opinions on the adapter.

id rock one just because have a bike to ride, not JUST photograph[/quote]

If you have a bike to ride and not photograph, wouldn’t it make sense to just keep a quill stem and not put in a phony baloney threadless adapter? The only time these things really make sense is when you need an oddball length/angle that you can’t find in a threaded stem. Aside from that, they just add an extra joint to flex and add the weight of the adapter itself. They’re kind of janky, but they get the job done when you need them.

i have a set of bars that are 31.x and i dont think they make a threaded stem that big

And that would be another instance where they’re needed. I am kind of curious why you bought a set of oversized bars to put on a bike with a quill stem though.

i made a mistake. its an easton riser bar.

Is there such shenanigans like a Threadless to threaded

Sure, change your headset to a threaded one and get a shop to cut threads into your fork. Why would you want to?

i had to use one of these for my girlfriend’s bike. its one of the older schwinn’s with the smaller than 1" steer tube, so we just ran the guy on a lathe and called it a night.

What size are the crits? I might take em off your hands if you’re interested.
Also, if you need a cinelli stem I know the LBS here has a black one in probably a 100 that I could get for like 20, 25 bucks NOS.

[quote=“kyle!”]Just lookin’ for opinions. Do these work well?

I just got my Gios and it fits great 'cept the stem is a huge boner. Anyway, rather than look for the appropriate Cinelli stem and because I’m not fond of the bars anyway(Cinelli Crit bars) I’m thinking about getting the Velo Orange stem adapter and matching stem with some Nitto Noodles. I know it goes against the whole Italian theme and it won’t looking as good but I got this bike to ride, not to look at.
[/quote]

If you want to avoid the boner look, get a Nitto Technomic which can have 160mm above the headset.

[quote=“halbritt”]
If you want to avoid the boner look, get a Nitto Technomic which can have 160mm above the headset.[/quote]

Sorry, by boner I meant way too long. It’s like a 120 or 130.

I’ll probably just grab a Pearl. I want to go threadless eventually. It’d probably be best to wait 'til I want to switch out the headset and do it right.

And frankstone, they’re 65-42 with a healthy amount of scratches. I’ll let you know when I’m ready to let them go if you want. A couple weeks at most.