TIG Frame Repair A.K.A. FUCK!

Whoa. That’s resourceful. Thanks.

Given that it’s 853, I wouldn’t really recommend trying to repair it or pull out the dents. If it’s straight, ride it until it fails.

What are the properties of 853 that you would suggest that? How would it differ?

Trying to gain a better understanding of metals.

its really thin, for one. 0.4mm i think?

That is teh suck. Never locking my SP-tubed Trek up anywhere again.

Also, not letting lady lock 853 Fuji.

[quote=R.J.]What are the properties of 853 that you would suggest that? How would it differ?

Trying to gain a better understanding of metals.[/quote]

Here are the physical dimensions of the tubes:

http://www.fairing.com/Reynolds.asp?subcat=reynolds&subreynolds=853

853 is an air-hardening heat-treated hi-tensile tube set designed for high performance (lightweight) applications. It’s known to be touchy and difficult to weld properly. So much so that Reynolds required frame builders to get a certification from them before they’d sell the tube sets. Once the tubes have been welded, they have effectively been heat-treated at the joints. Cutting out a tube and then re-welding the joint is likely to have unpredictable results, though I suspect the resultant joint would be excessively brittle and prone to cracking.

I’d recommend against trying to pull out the dents as again, the elongation of 853 is low, because if it’s high tensile strength which makes it prone to cracking. I’m surprised it hasn’t cracked yet and it may still. Attempting to remove the dents would increase the likelihood of cracking.

Based on the photos I’ve seen, if the bike is straight and can be ridden, then leave it as is and enjoy your new beater. It may fail eventually, but it’s unlikely to do so quickly or catastrophically. Repairing it would cost several hundred dollars and would yield a finished frame with unknown characteristics and lifespan.

Thanks for all the detailed information on the joints, Halbritt.

I’ll just ride the thing into the ground.

I’ve always been a proponent of, “I get my bikes to ride them, and I ride them everywhere in all weather.” I still will, I just won’t do it with a bike like this again.

I know how you feel. My road bike has gotten a bit nice for me to be locking it up just anywhere. I still do, but I worry.

frame blocks
http://www.bicycleresearchtools.com/framet.html#anchor351350

i imagine 853 would be fine but maybe give Lon at nova framebuiders source a call and ask

talk to someone who’s worked with 853 about fram blox atmo

I know how you feel. My road bike has gotten a bit nice for me to be locking it up just anywhere. I still do, but I worry.[/quote]

I sit at a coffee shop in Santa Cruz and watch people lock up their bikes. They often tip them over into other bikes or are simply careless because they don’t give a shit. An 853 frame, or any other thin walled tubing would certainly suffer damage from someones uncovered MTB bar end tipping over into it. It makes me super nervous and I usually try to lock up my bike away from all the others but still in a safe place.

I’m not saying that’s what happened to yours. Sorry about the damage. :frowning:

Edit: is there any way to take out a sizable dent from an ovalized chain stay?

Not sure if frame blocks would work at all. It is 853 steel, but it’s a custom drawn Serotta tubeset, and the tubes are somewhat shaped near the joints. A block might just bend it more out of shape. I also don’t really want to bend the steel anymore times than it needs to be, unless it’s sure to fix the dents and leave a structurally sound bike.

this thread made me have a terrible nightmare of somebody doing this to me. i woke up and went right to my bike and hugged it.

When I first saw that bike a while ago I assumed it was aluminum.

It’s a shame that we can only take our “nice” bikes out when we are sure that we won’t have to leave them unattended. People caught doing jackass stuff like that should pay a heavy price.

I really couldn’t see the dents at the race yesterday. That bike is hot sex

Also, I love well worn bicycles, or really anything for that matter. I love scratches, dings, chipped paint. Nothing to me is more badass than a well used machine.

[quote=SausageWallet]I really couldn’t see the dents at the race yesterday. That bike is hot sex

Also, I love well worn bicycles, or really anything for that matter. I love scratches, dings, chipped paint. Nothing to me is more badass than a well used machine.[/quote]

Did you say hi? I talked to a bunch of people but no one mentioned tarck?!

nah, i thought it would have been creepy/weird being like “hey, i know you from the internet!”

i was the dude on the orange kilo that was lookin’ for the checkpoint behind goodwill with you

Yeah, people should die for that kind of shit.

[quote=SausageWallet]nah, i thought it would have been creepy/weird being like “hey, i know you from the internet!”

i was the dude on the orange kilo that was lookin’ for the checkpoint behind goodwill with you[/quote]
i was the dude with the beard who was with him.