Time to let the dream die

Ever since I heard about Richard Sachs and his beautiful bikes I’ve wanted one. Granted they aren’t cheap by any means and I’m pretty poor at the moment but it was always a goal of mine to save up for a year or two and get one of his frames. A once-in-a-lifetime sort of deal.

I swore the last time I looked at his website he listed the price at $2800. And I’ve heard from numerous people that the wait was somewhere around 2 1/2 years. Maybe he hadn’t updated his page in a long time but I just checked again and it has jumped to $4000 and 6 years. Spectrum’s looking nicer every day.

Sachs makes killer stuff, and I would love to have something of his. But honestly, I don’t know what makes his stuff worth $4k when there’s a lot of very very competent custom builders that’ll make you a beautiful frame for around half of that.

Or you could buy like 11.5 Kilos with that money.

You can always get the Richard Sachs watch (“NOW AVAILABLE”) for $2950. Obnoxious.

But srsly, his bikes are near perfection and always tasteful.

[quote=“crushkilldestroy”]Sachs makes killer stuff, and I would love to have something of his. But honestly, I don’t know what makes his stuff worth $4k when there’s a lot of very very competent custom builders that’ll make you a beautiful frame for around half of that.

Or you could buy like 11.5 Kilos with that money.[/quote]

It’s gotta be demand. There are other builders that have been doing it for a long time (Spectrum, Della Santa) that don’t have the wait times nor do they charge out the ass like R.S. I’m guessing it’s because he’s got name recognition among the I-want-a-custom-lugged-frame crowd. Beautiful? Definitely. But worth six years? That makes Vanilla seem pretty reasonable.

[quote=“bexley”]You can always get the Richard Sachs watch (“NOW AVAILABLE”) for $2950. Obnoxious.

But srsly, his bikes are near perfection and always tasteful.[/quote]

If I ever dropped that kind of money on a watch it would be a Panerai.

I’m kinda partial to Breitlings myself…

I always wondered why Della Santa wasn’t a lot more popular than he seems to be, all of his bikes I’ve seen in person have been outrageously hot. It’s probably combination of less of a web presence and I don’t think he goes to many shows.

Sachs was arguably one of the, if not the, most well known single man custom builders in his corner of the US for a couple of decades. Couple it with having a great web presence (he’s posted in various places for years, atmo), maybe his cross bikes, and being on top when this whole custom boom went down equals mucho wait time. I actually thought I read he wasn’t taking any new deposits, maybe that was someone else.

Get a Spectrum… or choose from the large amount of other US framebuilders. A lot of the newer builders like Courage, Signal and Hufnagel are all pumping out really nice stuff.

My friend just got his dad’s Richard Sachs. I can’t wait to see it.

Stop being a pussy and start gettin’ your 4Gs together.

I’ll PM my address to you. I’ll take a personal check but I’d prefer a money order. Kthnxbye.

i don’t think he’s even taking new orders right now unless you are a previous customer.
maybe it’s changed though, i don’t know.

Richard is around 5’2" and about 120 lbs. I rode with him for a short distance at D2R2 last year. That man can climb!

I thought he was no longer taking new orders and only building frame for existing clients?

You’re right, I missed that part. Doesn’t really matter though because I wasn’t going to place an order anytime in the near future anyways.

I’ll PM my address to you. I’ll take a personal check but I’d prefer a money order. Kthnxbye.[/quote]

I don’t know what your girl told you, but sneaky viking does not actually pay for other people’s dreams to come true.

So you’re a cocktease. Got it.

I suggest you get out and ride more. You’ll probably find that will you care less and less about this pointless overpriced shit.

Ha word^

I kinda want to know whos stupid enough to order a frame they wont recieve for four years. by then the fit/geo. you chose is probably not what youll want after 4 damn years.

You’re just reserving your spot in line. It’s not like he takes 4 years building each frame.