Tire Chat

Yeah, core is removed. What valves have you had success with? Are you shaking the bottle?

Yeah, core is removed.[/quote]

Shit, that’s weird. I’ve been using the endurance formula for ages, and never had a problem.

Seems like both valve types that I use neck down from valve core diameter to near-pinhole.
I assume this is a way to prevent the sealant from entering the valve when you deflate?

I’m not sure about this finish line stuff. I just put some bee lines on the endpoint last night, and I got a bottle of finish line to try it out.

First of all, while filling up the front tire, the non-threaded applicator cap of the finish line blew apart and got sealant all over the fucking place, so I’ve only got it in the front tire. And, I’m not sure how much actually got in the tire but I’m guessing like 3oz or so. The rest is on the floor.

So, I put orange seal in the rear tire and rode around the block a few times to slosh it around.

This morning, front tire is almost flat. Pump it up and ride to work, currently I’m at my desk and the rear tire is at full pressure, front tire isn’t flat but it’s obviously losing some of it’s pressure.

I’ll give it a few more days before I trash it and re-fill with orange seal. Will report back.

[quote=tehschkott]New Q

Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic?

For general all-purpose mountain biking in the Seattle/PNW. Both 2.8in. Both would be set up tubeless on 40mm Scraper rims.[/quote]
NN every time for sure.

I asked around at Sea Otter and heard general negative user reviews from Finish Line’s sealant. Claims were that since they say it ‘never dries up’ it never actually sealed anyone’s puncture and just sprayed everywhere until tire was flat.

I’ll stick to orange seal, it’s been very impressive for me so far since glass is everywhere in my neck of the woods.

Yeah, OS is my jam but I figured I’d give this stuff a try.

I might try to see if I can find a small bottle of it to top off the front, reviews I’m reading say you need more than what is stated on the bottle, and since mine blew up everywhere I’m not sure how much is in there.

If you need some more Finish Line sealant, let me know.

Yeah, core is removed.[/quote]

Shit, that’s weird. I’ve been using the endurance formula for ages, and never had a problem.[/quote]

valves are probably clogged. I’ve never had an issue with the orange seal injectors either, just a bummer I can’t really tell how much im squirtin’ in

Get a cheap 4 oz syringe like the turkey injector and a short chunk of hose. I just hook it up to valve, pour my desired amount into it, and Chase it with the plunger.

The way that I determine how much sealant I am putting in:
Big bottle holds sealant for long term.
Saved a smaller 4oz bottle for injecting/pouring
used a sharpie to draw rough 1 oz increments on bottle
Unfortunately the bottle is translucent but if you hold it up to a light you can judge the level.
The only issue seems to be when you shake it up the bubbles make it difficult to judge the exact measurement.

Speaking of sealant disasters, last week I was setting up the byways, finished one wheel, gently placed lid on bottle, went to set up the second wheel, grabbed bottle and immediately began shaking, lid flies off, sealant everywhere. DAMMIT

Between mineral oil and sealant I have managed to completely cover the repair room in a thin layer of bike juices.

Reminds me of the time I removed the valve core, injected sealant, forgot to reinstall core, and gave wheel a big spin.

[quote=Viggen][quote=tehschkott]New Q

Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic?

For general all-purpose mountain biking in the Seattle/PNW. Both 2.8in. Both would be set up tubeless on 40mm Scraper rims.[/quote]
NN every time for sure.[/quote]

Magic Mary front, Nobby Nic rear is a pretty popular combo.

That’s why I love the little stans bottles you get at races and stuff. Just fill from big bottle, pour in valve, let it drip in, and get to pumping it back up. I’ve never had any issues with Stans that anything else would have sealed. Plus, if I do it at the shop, its free. I still buy a bottle for home just coz.

Magic Mary/Nobby Nic would be pretty good. Not sure tehschkott is getting that rad, but whatever, Marys are good for wet.

I just use a big syringe I bought for 20 cents at the local chemist (drugstore). Easy as pie, and it has measurements marked on the side.

I was talking tires with some people at the last race, and the general consensus was that the PNW tends to go from muddy slop to moon dust pretty quickly. There isn’t much shoulder season for a fast rolling tire.

[quote=yonderboy][quote=Viggen][quote=tehschkott]New Q

Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic?

NN every time for sure.[/quote]

Magic Mary front, Nobby Nic rear is a pretty popular combo.[/quote]
Magic Mary is way more tire than Scott is gonna push through a corner, and the Nobby Nic is already a bit more aggro AM. It’s too bad they don’t make a B+ Ralph to use on the rear…

I’d lean towards the Rocket Ron with a fatter one in front, I’ve used it a lot as a front tire in the PNW in the places he’ll go

What specific WTB tire model came on the bike? You might be fine to tubeless those for a while, or maybe buy one new tire…

I pour it in until it looks like there is a lot in there then I close the whole bongle up.

Fuck dealing with sealant in a syringe, that is some bullshit. These babies that liquify talks about are the business:

Perfect size/amout of sealant for one tire and dead easy to re-use for a life time.

Idgi. Using a syringe is so easy. Each to their own though I guess.