Tire Chat

wtb

Or Easton / Race Face ARC+.

Wtb asym 35, or scraper if you’re confident you’ll never use smaller tires on those wheels

The ARC 35 seems to work pretty well with the 2.4 Maxxis tires, if you’re not looking for SUPL LYFE.

I have asym 35 on my Jones, and really like them. Narrowest tires I’ll run are 2.5-2.6", with 3.0" being my preferred size.

The scraper is a great rim. Just rebuilt one for a customer who got one last year. He abuses the fuck out of his plus bike. Put in several dents. Tire never leaked. Rim stayed true enough to continue shredding.

[youtube]G2OqwuhNGfg[/youtube]
Bike radar test of sealant, going from 2mm puncture to 8mm. Stan’s race and Mariposa latex sealant are tops, but Stans is the only one to seal the 8mm.

^ pointless because tarck has already decided it’s Orange Seal

damnit I just ordered another thing of orange seal endurance. :colbert:

Orange Seal only for Compass. Stan’s for the rest, you ingrates.

The results from the Stan’s Race are really intriguing, but I have enough Orange Seal to last at year another year, and so far have only ever flatted once while using it (when a large piece of scrap metal went in through the tread and out the sidewall), so I’m not going to switch over right away.

I’m happy to report that the 55 mm Compass tires are astonishingly good. Keep in mind this is my first time on tubeless and the biggest tires I’ve run before are 42 mm. They took a while to stop losing significant pressure over 24 hours–not sure if that’s normal for tubeless. Now they pretty much hold pressure for a week or two.

I have them pumped to 20 psi for light/moderate gravel and road. Is that reasonable for 150-lb rider + 21 lb bike? They feel quite bouncy.

Ive got the compass bon jon in el and also the wtb nano 40c

neither is setup tubeless. riding is mix of pavement and gravel. should i do tubeless? this is my road/gravel bike, no idea if bigger tires would fit but i want to try the 44mm compass…i think this crosshairs will clear em

I just got some of those easton arc 45 rims. Got good reviews so we will see.

[quote=Recumbentist]

I have them pumped to 20 psi for light/moderate gravel and road. Is that reasonable for 150-lb rider + 21 lb bike? They feel quite bouncy.[/quote]

At 165 I run the RTPs at 29 psi for general use. If it’s going to get a lot of gravel miles and it’s a chunky time of year I drop a couple psi. I’d try 23-25 psi.

[quote=drwelby][quote=Recumbentist]

I have them pumped to 20 psi for light/moderate gravel and road. Is that reasonable for 150-lb rider + 21 lb bike? They feel quite bouncy.[/quote]

At 165 I run the RTPs at 29 psi for general use. If it’s going to get a lot of gravel miles and it’s a chunky time of year I drop a couple psi. I’d try 23-25 psi.[/quote]
Yeah I am at about 30-35 for the RTPs’ which is mostly commuting, at 71 kgs. I was wondering if the Antelope was vague in cornering as I heard that the Schwable G-one was? The RTP makes me feel like I am on a moto-gp bike. Love it.

[quote=belopsky]Ive got the compass bon jon in el and also the wtb nano 40c

neither is setup tubeless. riding is mix of pavement and gravel. should i do tubeless? this is my road/gravel bike, no idea if bigger tires would fit but i want to try the 44mm compass…i think this crosshairs will clear em[/quote]
Do some research on which WTBs you tubeless. I did a wire-bead Nano and the whole guts of it dissolved. Nasty. (Stans gizz).

Fortunately I can read and know what the sidewall says.

Was easier than I thought without a compressor. Messy.

Both are sitting right now, we’ll see how they hold air come tomorrow.

I got a big (few mm) piece of glass in my baby shoes. Orange seal sealed it eventually but I lost probably 2 oz of orange seal onto my bike and a lot of pressure. It got me the 5 ish miles home so I could add more sealant and pump it up.

Not happy about it but not too mad.

[quote=cousinmosquito][quote=drwelby][quote=Recumbentist]

At 165 I run the RTPs at 29 psi for general use. If it’s going to get a lot of gravel miles and it’s a chunky time of year I drop a couple psi. I’d try 23-25 psi.[/quote]
Yeah I am at about 30-35 for the RTPs’ which is mostly commuting, at 71 kgs. I was wondering if the Antelope was vague in cornering as I heard that the Schwable G-one was? The RTP makes me feel like I am on a moto-gp bike. Love it.[/quote]

I’m going to try 25 PSI today. I have a regular road pump though, so there’s always a question whether the readings are accurate that low.

I don’t know what the feeling is of being on a Moto GP bike or whatever, but I am pretty satisfied with the performance of the Antelope Hills for what I’m using them for, which is light to moderate gravel that I could manage on 26-mm tires but it wasn’t fun. On these I feel like I’m floating and I don’t have to dodge. Cornering seems fine.