Tire Chat

Interesting. I will have to try Stans Race sealant next time I need to reorder.
I am assuming my friend that couldn’t get his Stans to seal was using the original formula.

It’s weird that both Stans and Orange seal continue to sell their original formula given they both produce the superior endurance/race formulas.
Risky to have inferior products in use with a brand name attached in instances when the sealant is doing a poor job.

you could say that about any brand with a budget and premium product though

That’s true

Regular stans works. And the video test had the orange endurance not working.

I dunno, I saw Stans totally not working in the field on a tiny hole so ¯_(ツ)
Still never had wet Orange Seal fail me ¯_(ツ)

None of my experiences were with MTB tires so maybe the video is only relevant if you’re using MTB tires
¯_(ツ)/¯¯_(ツ)/¯¯_(ツ)/¯¯_(ツ)/¯¯_(ツ)/¯¯_(ツ)/¯¯_(ツ)_/¯

I’ve had a puncture that was literally squirting stans out of it and wouldn’t seal

topped it up with orange seal and it immediately stopped leaking

that was 8 months ago now, and I still ride that tire

I’ve done nothing to it since the puncture.

[quote=kmcdon]I’ve had a puncture that was literally squirting stans out of it and wouldn’t seal

topped it up with orange seal and it immediately stopped leaking

that was 8 months ago now, and I still ride that tire

I’ve done nothing to it since the puncture.[/quote]

This! I had this exact same situation 2 months ago!

Stan’s gets a vote of no confidence from me.

I have zero concrete evidence to back this up but I think there was a “bad” batch of Stan’s.

I saw a strange cluster of punctures that I feel like should have sealed amongst a bunch of customer bikes earlier this year. Then it calmed down.

[quote=turpencat]I won’t be building the frame till the winter. I am in no hurry. I have all the tubes but the chainstays and head tube. I would just rather be riding.

What I need is the distance from the highest point on the tire to the part where it is widest. The curve doesn’t really matter. +/- knobbies. I am probably going to go to my local dork mountain bike shop and see if they have anything in stock at 2.8 or 3", but having more #'s would be helpful. Like if all I can find are maxxis tires but then I buy terravails on a wider rim and it’s mega different that would be a huge bummer.[/quote]

I’ve got 27.5 x 3in Nobby Nic’s on 40mm Scraper rims. They’re bloody great. I can give you measurements if you want. HMU.

Dockton Forest by Scott Gamble, on Flickr

iirc the race sealant is alleged by stans to not last as long and they caution that it will seal up the cylindrical holes found in injectors and valves if you try to fill it the lazy mans way

Ugh, such a silly way to refill.
Haven’t tried the race stuff. But mostly use Stans coz everywhere, and I can refill at the shop any time for no cost.

Broke two tire levers and took an hour to get new 29+ 3.0 Rangers on last night. BUT held air from a floor pump without sealant no problem. I switched from Stans to Orange and been happy so thats what I put in these wheels.

Which rims? I find that the 3.0 Rangers go on pretty easily, but often require a compressor to get them seated (due to their high/er volume).

I put the 29x3 rangers on i35 asym rims a while ago and they went on fine and pumped up and seated without sealant, but they are now incredibly tightly stuck on the bead seat now. Haven’t been able to remove them with considerable sweating and grunting. I used a single layer of gorilla on the rim

I’m running that same combo, and breaking the bead seems to be much harder than other tires on those rims. I find that I have to almost “pull” the tire tread away from the bead closest to me in order to get it started.

Yeah I had a similar problem with pari motos on koms. Might be a wtb thing. It seemed to get a lot better after the tape bedded down and the whole system had a chance to loosen up, and I was able to get the tires off using the method you describe. With these I’ll probably have to use a tire lever to pry the bead towards the center channel of the rim 1 inch at a time til I can pop it off.