to drill or not to drill

Just buy a new fork. If you do drill it and you ruin that fork you are back to square one anyway. Surly makes pretty nice looking aftermarket forks. I think I remember seeing some cool KHS ones too. Dont ruin the original, it cant be undrilled down the road. You may, at some point, find yourself wishing you could have the original for undrilled.

yep
what’ the shortest, like 39mm or something?

Get another bike as your daily rider. Save your track bike for days when you’re not feeling lazy. Please don’t drill that fork!

1 learn to ride
2 save your money and just get a builder to build you a new fork equally bad ass but already drilled and more accommodating for a brake
3 fuck that stupid clamp on kit
4 fuck putting shitty a fork on that bike
5 fuck drilling that fork
6 why did you buy a bad ass track bike if you want brakes on it?

1 done
2 thats a good idea
3 probably
4 exactly
5 fair enough
6 because its bad ass, i needed a new daily ride, it was cheap and i don’t need to blow my knees coming down hills to impress guys on teh interwebz.

I’m normally pro-drilling, when it comes to your average keirin bike, but I wouldn’t drill a bike of this vintage. Forks like that are hardly a dime-a-dozen.

The clamp-on keirin brake works great. I bought one from a user here and I just slapped it on my track bike to celebrate the end of track season.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/nagrey.html

I feel like the clearances on that bike are much tighter than this one, and that one worked with a 28mm reach brake, so this one MIGHT work with a 39mm short reach caliper. Measure before you do anything drastic, of course.

the other thing about that farleigh
its pretty tight
some hard braking plus a bump
i’d be worried about the tire rubbing the down tube
that could be very bad
maybe i’m just paranoid

yeah, the clearance is tighter than it looks, its an 18 tire in that picture i took. 23’s breathe through. the only thing stopping me from buying that clamp kit is the chance that the lugs will fuck it up, which i don’t expect. what do you think bonechilling?

is it likely that i could ever hit a bump in such a way as to force the wheel straight back? wouldn’t it be more likely to dent the rim with that kind of force? maybe my physics are bad…

drill it. NOW!

Hub brake.

The wheel skidding the downtube isn’t that bad a thing.
Artistic cycling guys do it all the time
Check her out at 1:37
[flash=500,400]http://www.youtube.com/v/rWYemEeLTTE&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

edit: wrong video

[quote=“aek”]yeah, the clearance is tighter than it looks, its an 18 tire in that picture i took. 23’s breathe through. the only thing stopping me from buying that clamp kit is the chance that the lugs will fuck it up, which i don’t expect. what do you think bonechilling?

is it likely that i could ever hit a bump in such a way as to force the wheel straight back? wouldn’t it be more likely to dent the rim with that kind of force? maybe my physics are bad…[/quote]

i would get a new fork if i was you

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sashae/2301767211/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/sashae/2149252100/sizes/l/

Why’s he gotta a highlight around the lower part of his headtube with “dammit” and then talks about his downtube as being the problem?

It looks like the steerer tube and the downtube are bent.
What a waste.

someone straightened that frame hes riding it again
with smaller tires now

i didn’t look at this thread because i thought it was just osme stupid thread about should i or shouldn’t i drill my fork…
it is, but most threads don’t involve badass aussie frames…much less ones that are made with double plate crowns.

don’t drill it.
either tough it up and ride it sans brake or get another fork built (with a little more rake and a little more distance from the crown to axle).

1. that fork has round blades and is not meant to handle the stress of braking.
  2. the clearance is probably so tight at the downtube that the tire will rub…see the pic of sasha’s de rosa…do you want to have a bent downtube and get dumped on your head from an emergency stop?

better yet just go ride the bike at the velodrome. track cycling is huge in australia is it not?

that’s a good point (I). i guess i got it so cheap i never really thought about what it was. everyone can rest assured that i won’t drill it. i will continue to ride it brakeless and look for a rad drilled fork or build up a road or touring bike. i guess i was just determined to finally get a brake, the day i bought it i was at the shop because they had a brake lever that would fit the tops of my cinelli drops. i’ve been riding brakeless for 3 years and haven’t had any trouble, i was just sort of getting tired of it.

on a lighter note, i saw a bike just like mine, doulble plate and all, yesterday at uni. it was a cecil walker though and the color was ugly, but dude had built with it dura-ace cranks and hubs on mavic open sports. really nice.