Track frames with short top tubes, 650C or 700C

I’m getting a new track frame for someone for xmas. Needs to have a tt of 50cm or less and be of at least halfway decent quality (no fuji track/windsor hour/IRO whatever). Its an upgrade from an IRO.

Who makes a nice bike with decent tubing and track geo in 650C? Or are there any track frames with 650C front and 700C rear (besides old TT bikes)? Looking at geo pages, on various frame makers, and looking at all of those NJS bike blogs, it seems like 51.5 is about as short as a TT can possibly be and still work with 700C wheels. Is this correct?

Any help or insight would be totally welcome. I’m open to aluminum or steel.

Thanks yall
:bear:

look who!

Wasn’t he banned?
Or did he just stop posting for like three months?

I had fun trolling for a minute. Now I save the hilarity for my regional forum and ask questions here when I want to keep things secret from my girlfriend.

Is she on the regional or something?
And he she is that short that 650 is nessecary?

like I said, 50cm top tube. look around at geo pages and you’ll see that bikes with 49 or 50cm seat tubes commonly have 52cm tt’s.

but if you really want for old times sake I can post goatse or something

Try just having a really short stem on that 52 top tube.
Part of the length you have to reach is the stem.

I don’t know if this is still true but the smallest Fuji track frame used 650C wheels.

she’s already got a 50cm IRO with a 52TT and a stupid-short stem. a 52cm TT would probably be OK with risers, but she likes bullhorns. THATs the main problem.

Well then I have no idea.
Like asterik said there at one time at least was a Fuji Track that had 650’s.
I think it was like a 49cm, dunno about the top tube though.

yeah, but I’m looking for something better than a fuji. I actually just looked up the track pro, which has a 50cm tt in the 49cm size – only the fucking thing has a seatmast instead of a seatpost

That’s a bitch.

custom build? my gf’s is 34x43 with 700’s! fits her just right.

Nevermind, the top tube on the 49cm Fuji is listed at 52cm so they must have switched to 700C wheels.

You might try to find one used.

that’s tough she likes bullhorns, those will always make the reach that much longer compared to any other bar setup. i really don’t have any answers for you beyond a custom frame though, and i feel like that might be your best option. if you’re moving up from an IRO do it right and get some custom built steel, otherwise it’s hard to justify any other upgrade from that kinda frame when you’ll probably have to make compromises with fit.

you have a girlfriend?

arent you like 11 or something?

yeah, but I’m looking for something better than a fuji. I actually just looked up the track pro, which has a 50cm tt in the 49cm size – only the fucking thing has a seatmast instead of a seatpost[/quote]

They only started using the seat mast this year, you could try looking around for a track pro from '08 or earlier.

doesnt IRO make a 650c version of the mark V now

Nobody makes 700x650 much after about I think '96 when there was a rule change stating that all track frames must use the same size wheels front and rear. Before that lots of pursuit frames where built that way, but the top tube wasn’t a whole lot shorter. Thats probably not going to work for you.

A 50cm top tube is very short. Custom is probably your best bet, but you might be able to find someone selling a used custom or something.

If you find one be weary of a frame that small still using 700c wheels, the geometry usually gets strange on anything under 53cm unless the builder/ designer decided to use 650’s.