Track Racing

Looks pretty cool. I’m reasonably close to a velodrome (Kissena). I was thinking about trying it out. Anyone know anything about getting started with track?

Usually in order to start riding at a velodrome, if you are a novice rider you have to take a short practical course in velodrome etiquette/ pacelining/ race formats/ how not to fuck up and cause other riders to get in a huge pile-up. At Burnaby in Vancouver that course is a three parter; it might be different at Kissena. It’s totally fun and you should do it—everyone has a good time at the courses and it’s about 1/4 getting told about something, 3/4 being out on the track trying it out…

Generally there will be rental bikes if you need one.

The closest track is about 1.5-2hours drive away from me.

http://www.forestcityvelodrome.ca/

I’m really interested in learning how to ride it. Dont have a license anymore though…

Track racing is the shit. Take a few beginner classes and then get out there and do it. Make sure you have some good bibs or bike shorts. Start out with around an 80" and go from there.

Thinking about taking some classes at marymoore in the seattle area, it’s about an hour and a half drive.

damn i got one like 30 minute ride away

all uphill, though, so you get there tired. but bombing back down afterwards is fun.

i haven’t raced though, just rode around. if you have a chance to do that first before classes, it’s not a bad idea, since just riding around the walls is a bit overwhelming the first time.

i feel so spoiled. there are two dromes within a half an hour ride and at least one more a couple hours away and i’ve only ridden on one of them, once. i suck.

Yes, you do.

I feel kinda spoiled, there’s one about 1 1/2 miles away from my house. Next season is going to be race-o-rama for me. I only got to actually race once this season, but I took the six week class. As stated, track racing is the shit.

I live 45 minutes away from 2 velodromes (this one and this one). During this past track season almost all of my cycling was done on one or the other, with the exception of my tiny commute and some Crits.

I was thinking that because I had a bunch of fixed gear experience, and because I had done some group riding that I might take the abridged class for advanced riders that just needed to get certified for riding at ADT, In the end I took the 4 session class. It was the right thing to do! ADT is quite steep and I was happy to be in a class of kooks and not feeling like I was the only one learning. a good class covers a ton of skills and leaves you ready for group riding and racing.

The bib/bike short thing is correct… They wont even let you ride ADT without proper bike attire, And other track riders can be pretty fucking aggro towards riders they are scared of, and nothing scares a dude on $3500 carbon track frame more than a hipster in dickies shorts. If you want to play the game go pick up the duds!

I would not run an 80 inch gear on early visits to the track, especially if you are fit. run 88 or so, you shouldn’t have any trouble pushing it, and it will help smooth out your paceline skills. When you first start riding close to other riders on the track you might still resort to your street fixee skills and back pedal to control your speed. The small gear makes it too easy to slow down! then its easy to speed up again, and the guy behind you who can hold his speed thinks your a fucking douche!

Track racing changed my life! it is the coolest thing ever! get out there and get started!!!

When does your season start down there? I will be down there for at least a couple of those Tuesday night sessions this spring…

This thread and this one are good places to start reading. Both are surprisingly informative and lacking in the usual bullshit this board revels in.

sometimes we surprise me.

I live like 600 miles from a Velodrome, but next year I should be close to Alpenrose, if not somewhere else. I’m psyched.

If it were not for those two threads I might not still come here…

I got on the velodrome in STL once. It’s in the ghetto, and these trees overhang the track, spilling bad tire-hating thorns. There’s damage to the surface that’s clearly caused by someone taking their car up the turns. So yeah, the place has an image problem.

But, I really liked it anyway.

i’m real close to alkek but i dont know anything about how to start riding it. i want to go with friends though.

[quote=“Quinn8it”]

When does your season start down there? I will be down there for at least a couple of those Tuesday night sessions this spring…[/quote]

April. I don’t recall an exact date but I think this season started around the 13th. I will definitely see you there if so, and bring warm clothes. The track is right next to a canyon so it gets pretty chilly. :bear:

[quote=“kjohnnytarr”]I got on the velodrome in STL once. It’s in the ghetto, and these trees overhang the track, spilling bad tire-hating thorns. There’s damage to the surface that’s clearly caused by someone taking their car up the turns. So yeah, the place has an image problem.

But, I really liked it anyway.[/quote]

Ha you should come ride burnaby sometime. The infield is used for volleyball and in spite of the very high nets, every once in a while a ball comes over and lands on the track. It never made anyone crash that I heard of, but at 45+ km/hr it’s pretty fun.

[quote=“kyle!”]

April. I don’t recall an exact date but I think this season started around the 13th. I will definitely see you there if so, and bring warm clothes. The track is right next to a canyon so it gets pretty chilly. :bear:[/quote]
Yeah, I looked on Bikefourns and saw the thread, think you are right, sometime in april… How do they do the cat system there for non-regular/visiting riders? do you pick your own cat?