Track Season 2009 Thread

This is why censoring is bad.

let the assholes be assholes.[/quote]
good point.

This is why censoring is bad.

let the assholes be assholes.[/quote]

Took me a second to figure that one out. I thought you were drunk posting or something :colbert:

edited for crass attempt at humor
[size=50]retard fixie nazi fag [/size]

Dutret
My season ends Saturday… So for '09 prep… Starting the 1st of October through New Years something like Gym 3x per week, High Cadence Spinning 3X (after gym) and then LSD 2X per week one day 5hrs-ish??? Is this oversimplified? I am entering a busy stretch at work so simple is better!!! Thanks!!

that’s my plan. If you are an overweight natural sprinter whose gotten about as far as you can on ability and needs to shed about 10% body fat, gain some strength, recover quicker in between races, not completely blow up after 400m, work on pedaling technique and hopes to devote a large portion of your spring and summer to training and racing it’s the best I can come up with…

Otherwise it may not be so good. It’s a pretty classic training plan but some people(bike forums road racing) seem to think that base miles are a waste if you don’t have a lot of time during the offseason and don’t plan to closer to race time. They seem to be getting good results with plans that include shorter sweetspot rides some intervals and only the occasional long ride even in the early offseason. I can see that working pretty well if your a decent allrounder/endurance rider on the track and want to continue in that vein the requirements of a points race or point a lap aren’t that different from the road. If you don’t think you need to really bulk up and are short on time doing strength work on the bike is a reasonable option too. I don’t know that much about training other than what I have read in a couple of books, online(with a grain of salt) and from people more knowledgeable than me. If you want better advice I strongly recommend fixedgearfever and the other more serious racing sites.

Say you have 8 hours a week which is a pretty decent chunk of your time. If you throw in a 3-4 hour ride and the gym three times you’re probably already over. Maybe not horrible if you need to bulk up. Probably would be better to only do the lsd occasionally and throw in a fast longish weekend group ride most of the time and a hour or so of technique on the road.

instead perhaps for endurance:
2-3 1-2hour rides a week working with sweetspot™ type work.
strength work on the commute. standing starts 10s high geared efforts 5min off low gear cruising very slowly on your road bike. It’ll take you a bit longer to get to work but should keep you from getting too sweaty.
Maybe three fast group rides for each lsd on the weekends.

[quote=“dutret”]. If you are an overweight natural sprinter whose gotten about as far as you can on ability and needs to shed about 10% body fat, gain some strength, recover quicker in between races, not completely blow up after 400m, work on pedaling technique and hopes to devote a large portion of your spring and summer to training and racing it’s the best I can come up with…
[/quote]
haha! Its like you know me!!!

Ok… So I am thinking I will:

Keep going to the Keirin class at Encino on saturdays, 100 lap warm up followed by some drills- I am thinking of dropping my GI down from 88 to maybe 84 for this.

Join a gym and hit it 3x per week till new years- followed by spinning drills on trainer

Do a Sunday LSD ride on my fixed gear

Its ok to double up workouts in one day?Like finish off a lsd day with a gym workout? that would hep my crunched sched!!!

If you’re slow is slow enough it can work. For the first six weeks or so as you’re building up to actual hard workouts it’s fine too. Really though to get the most of the gym once you really get into it should probably be by itself or paired with really light technique workouts. If you don’t go into the gym as recovered as possible and leave ample time for recovery afterwards not only will you acheive less but you’re much more likely to hurt yourself.

So maybe better to go gym tuesday and thursday, track on saturday and lsd on sunday? Less volume but better recovery?

maybe later unless you’ve been lifting. For the first month or two you should be doing high reps starting with very low weights to get the technique down and your body used to lifting. During this phase I don’t think recovery is so important since you’re not building the big muscles. Three days a week would probably get you into actual strength building mode sooner.

You’ll still be riding to work or something on mon/wed/fri? For me at least if I don’t get 30min of easy riding or something in I’m not able to push as hard the following day.

so assuming that i manage this schedule… and I do like 6 weeks of higher rep weights, then into 6 weeks of harder weights. What’s next in january? crits start here February or march.

And I have the fortune/misfortune of living 1 mile from work… so my commute while usually on bike, is really short! and with a little luck and a change in the economy I will be moving my business 3 blocks from home early next year

So the co-op here has some Dura Ace PD-7400 pedals in used condition for $35… I was thinking I was going to make the jump from Time ATAC to SPD-SL but so many people rave about the 7400’s that I think I may go that route instead… can’t hurt at that price.

I don’t think that so many people rave about them anymore, just a few luddite hold-outs and a bunch of young guys into anachronistic bicycle components. There’s nothing about them that isn’t improved upon by modern clipless systems.

For sure. Still, $35 seems like a good deal.

Maybe, but you can pick up clipless pedals for that much or less. I saw some Dura Ace SPD-Rs, still in the box, sell for ~$10 the other day.

Then gotta find the shoes to match their funny drilling though… that’d be the real pain.

And it looks like a pain having to cinch down the strap and double it back while you are rolling around the infield

Eh, fine. I’ll get SPD SL’s.

The Japanese guy who coaches the keirin session at Encino Velo, sell’s some pretty cool pedals. Not sure what brand, but the cleat seams to fit most shoes. You flip a lever to lock the cleat into the pedal, then you cinch the strap, and double it back.

I have never had a “pull out” problem with my super cheap look rip-off pedals, but I could imagine that the tension of the strap would be a good thing in a sprint (or a standing start)

I bought some DA SPL-SL for $105 from some no-name site about a month ago.

MKS Exa?

they’re fucking expensive.