trainer tires on rollers?

anyone ever use the home trainer tires (i’d probably get the conti ones) on their rollers? i’m just wondering if they make it too difficult because they are really hard tires - i’ve never owned them and i’m not even really sure what they are like. oh yeah - do they really make it quiet too? my rollers are loud as hell when i’m spinning fast.

Those Conti HT tires arent really hard. I rode one on the street till I wore it out.
It was a good tire.

I think the marketing behind trainer tires are less build up of heat. The only resistance on rollers is your own weight so there’s not as much heat as with a trainer. Just buy whatever is cheap for the rear and roll with that.

I’m using a trainer tire on rollers. they work great. I’ve used a cheap tires before and wore it out in a month’s times. I’ve switched to a trainer tire and I’m using the same one for over 2 years with little wear.

thanks tarckbike! all my questions have been answered. cheap tires just don’t last - so these sound like a good solution, plus they should be more quiet.

so… last nite i used the new trainer that my gf bought me for my b-day.

i was riding it with my armadillo on the rear which had a fair amount of uneven wear to begin with from skid stopping.
ok… so after a half hour of riding my floor was COVERED in black crap… rubber ranging in size from pepper flakes to small pebble size. the tire was worn down to the kevlar liner.

since i’ve never used a trainer before i’m assuming i’m doing something VERY wrong.
i ordered the trainer tire that you guys were talking about earlier in this thread (the Conti) but… is there something else i may be doing wrong?
your advice & help is appreciated.

Should I be using crappy tires on my rollers? Am I wearing out my Gatorskins more quickly by using them? Sometimes when I finish or am in the middle of a workout, my roommate complains about a burnt rubber smell lol, but I never thought about how I could be messing up my tires. Maybe this should be in dumb questions

[quote=“artblur”]so… last nite i used the new trainer that my gf bought me for my b-day.

er before i’m assuming i’m doing something VERY wrong.
i ordered the trainer tire that you guys were talking about earlier in this thread (the Conti) but… is there something else i may be doing wrong?
your advice & help is appreciated.[/quote]
too much pressure from the trainer, too little pressure in the tire probably

heh… i never did buy trainer tires yet. i started using the conti force/attack combo that came on a wheelset some guy used on his trainer that had wear spots 180 degrees from each other. they have been holding up pretty well.

when i use the rollers i usually hit 130+ rpm’s at least a few times - so it is pretty hard on the tires. and i have definitely produced a burnt rubber smell, not to mention steaming up an entire room when the door was closed.

i just bought a set of the vittoria trainer tires. rode them last night, was very happy. much quieter and less vibration than my rubinos

Yeah, they definitely cut down on the high-pitched squeak noise on rollers, and also are a lot more stable. PBK has them for under $20 shipped - http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y2007

for some reason my trainer rumbles when i really crank it up, but these have gotten rid of at least some of that problem. noise canceling headphones have taken care of the rest

[quote=artblur]so… last nite i used the new trainer that my gf bought me for my b-day.

i was riding it with my armadillo on the rear which had a fair amount of uneven wear to begin with from skid stopping.
ok… so after a half hour of riding my floor was COVERED in black crap… rubber ranging in size from pepper flakes to small pebble size. the tire was worn down to the kevlar liner.

since i’ve never used a trainer before i’m assuming i’m doing something VERY wrong.
your advice & help is appreciated.[/quote]

This can also be an issue if you are riding on some trainers and cant push through the resistance setting, ie you set the resistance too high and you get the “whurr whurr whurr” sound as you hit the dead spots in pedal stroke.