Traveling with my bike

In one month my roommate and I are going to hawaii and we’re bringing our bikes. My question is how should we do this. Should we pack up our bikes and UPS them to a bike shop or try and travel with them on the plane? Has anyone shipped their bike and know the cost difference?

If I end up shipping the bikes is there a way to find a shop that will be willing to accept the boxes, like a tri-specific shop? Any help is appreciated.

The answer is don’t go by delta. I think they’re charging people $300 if they hear you own a bike even if you’re not bringing it with you.

Some airlines are charging as little as $70 withing the continental US. Check on the airlines website to see what it is for hawaii. UPS is about $70 within the US. It may be a lot more to ship to HI.

In either case, get a bike box from a shop. The cardboard ones that bikes come in from the factory. One should survive a round trip. If not, pick one up in HI for the return. Some shops charge like $5. Others are free. Make sure you get the packing materials with it if you can. You may want to call the shop a few days ahead and have them save one with all the stuff in it for you. You could buy or rent a case, but they add a lot of weight that may significantly increase the cost. A good padded bag is really enough protection, but UPS and many airlines require a box.

fedex has always been cheaper than UPS. For me at least.

[quote=TimLOKOed]The answer is don’t go by delta. I think they’re charging people $300 if they hear you own a bike even if you’re not bringing it with you.

Some airlines are charging as little as $70 withing the continental US. Check on the airlines website to see what it is for hawaii. UPS is about $70 within the US. It may be a lot more to ship to HI.

In either case, get a bike box from a shop. The cardboard ones that bikes come in from the factory. One should survive a round trip. If not, pick one up in HI for the return. Some shops charge like $5. Others are free. Make sure you get the packing materials with it if you can. You may want to call the shop a few days ahead and have them save one with all the stuff in it for you. You could buy or rent a case, but they add a lot of weight that may significantly increase the cost. A good padded bag is really enough protection, but UPS and many airlines require a box.[/quote]
I have a number of shops that I could go to for a new box with padding. I don’t plan on getting a clamshell unless I’m going with an airline.

I think most shops will let you ship to them. tri shops definitely. Especially with the ironman and shit. They may want you to have them build it though. Time to make some calls?

You can reinforce a cardboard bike box for cheap too: Shaw Communications .

has anyone shipped a bike and know approximately what it might cost? anything…

Well it looks like it’s going to be $300 each way to ship it. Fuck that. This isnt looking good.

Frontier has a $20 bike check. Dunno if you’re near one or if they go to Hawaii.

both fedex and ups to hawaii are expensive.
try to ship USPS

get blocks for the DOs and forks. dont want that stuff smooshed.

Don’t forget your chain condom.

Do they have an REI in Hawaii? Buy new bikes, return them. Or rent?

If someone needs a shop connection in Hawaii, I can probably help…

[quote=miguelaron]both fedex and ups to hawaii are expensive.
try to ship USPS

get blocks for the DOs and forks. dont want that stuff smooshed.[/quote]

^ that.

why not just rent? shipping to hawaii’s gonna be ridoncs

It’d probably be cheaper to pack an adjustable wrench, grease and a multi-tool and then buy a beater off Hawaii Craigslist.

Renting in HI is very easy. Bring your own pedals and shoes though.