Traveling with your bike?

well, i think if you are flying over for a yea or half a year or a few months…it is worth it. But if it is for just a few weeks. It doesn’t make sense. you can almost buy a bike with the amount you spend flying it.

That’s strange. I have travelled that route with bike several times (mostly using Lufthansa) and never had to pay a dime. Usually it was a typical frame box.[/quote]

I think european airlines are way more supportive and friendly to bikes.

Awesome advice,
or more like advice that I wanted to hear.
I don’t really mind paying a hundred bucks to ship my bike over, that doesn’t seem like a huge deal. It’ll definitely be worth riding in the streets of tokyo though. Esp if I can get a bag for cheap.

I’ve been thinking and maybe I’ll put my bike in a box and leave it at a friend’s house while I travel. The only time I’m going to be alone is in tokyo, and I could leave it at someone’s house until I’m ready to go home.

Hmm what to do!

make sure your friends in tokyo have a house that can fit a full sized bike. no sarcasm here.

Couplers FTW.

If you put then on a frame you’ll keep for a while, they’re going to save you a lot of moneys.

another idea that works well is if your spending a fair amount of time there, pack all your components and buy a frame/wheels there. when your leave either flip the frame/wheels or bring it back home with you.
also you could get ahold of a fellow tarcker where your going and see if he/she has a spare frame/wheels you could borrow for a while.

i am flying from dallas to new york with the pista tomorrow.

i got this road case off craigslist

http://www.skyline.com/Modular-Inline/Modular-Systems/Tables-and-Kiosks/Exhibit-Cabinetry/&section=Cases

and it is absolutely perfect. the guy was carrying drum hardware in it.

i would have just gotten a box, but im paranoid. this thing really has no chance of getting crushed, and if they feel like searching it, it can be closed up again. it has wheels too.

tonight im going to line it with a layer or two of egg carton foam since large slabs of foam are like $30 a yard and i dont have time to go to a fabric warehouse and theres nothing on craigslist. i will also be putting pipe insulation around the tubes, and padding it with an old pillow or two or a blanket if need be. threaded rods/washers/nuts will go in the forks. there are straps inside to tie it down.

i’ll take pictures of everything tonight.

Anecdote: I just flew to Vancouver from Edinburgh on Air Canada, and didn’t get charged for my bike box, even though their website says it costs $50. http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/sports_equip.html This is the third AC flight in a row where I haven’t been charged for a bike, and my second out of EDI.

I used to spend hours wrapping my tubes, but now I don’t bother. It simply doesn’t seem to make much of a difference relative to what a big pain in the ass it is. I just put a couple layers of cardboard over the chainring, pull the QR from the front wheel and wrap either side of the axle with several layers of cardboard, remove the handlebars and seat, pull the chain and tape it to the frame (wrapped in cloth), pull the derailer and tape it to the frame, pull the pedals and tape them to the frame, and pad the box throughout with bike clothes.

American airlines website says a bicycle is $100. i am prepared to pay it, but i will try to avoid telling them what it is. even if i made something up, there is probably a fee for the thing i make up. i’ll also be sure to smile and open my eyes real big.

Room203, if you can try and have your bike box + checked luggage under the total minimum amount of checked luggage. I think that’s worked in my favour in the past as when your bike box is an “extra” then they will start thinking of ways to charge you for it.

i have no other checked luggage. just bringing a backpack with like 2 pairs of pants and 2 shirts. it isnt thaat much over the size limit either. im hopeful, but ready for whatever…

try the “inline wheelchair” line if they ask.

OP hit me up when you are in Tokyo. If you need to ship stuff or need boxes, missing random tools, etc. I might be able to help you.

wow that looks solid.

that looks pretty fucking bomb proof.

and Kaido, I’ll be in tokyo from July 15 til probably August 1st. Then I might just leave my bike at someone’s house and go travel.
What part of tokyo are you in? PM me some info about the good shops and crews down there

nice! but where is yur front wheel?

might as well just leave those pads on for a shants bike, room.

oh.
nice! that looks perfect.