true confessions (but mostly stealth braggin')

It’s nice when your work is appreciated, I agree.

I have opinions about vc

But it is true that compliments are always appreciated

Good job Scott! Do you have any advice for use plebes on how to impress VeloCult?

well definitely don’t tell them any stories of your half baked attempts at tubeless tires

[quote=tehschkott]TC: Was in VeloCult in PDX this weekend. Rolled the Logan through to look at Swift Bags, and then back out on the QT. Half hour later chatting with guy at the bar and he stops me and says “hey what was that bike, can you bring it back in? Was great build!” So I go out and bring it in so they could oogle. A bit after they’re going over supwifes 650b Mr Pink - after a moment they realize that’s also my build.

Maybe I’m wrong, but getting a head nod from VeloCult bros feels sorta tough - bike shop cool-bike immunity on high in there. Dunno. Felt good to get unsolicited high fives from tough crew of proper bike jerks on not 1, but 2 of my bikes.

/scuffle scuffle kicks rocks

Or yano. Whatever.

Shut up.[/quote]

Dude, that’s pretty much my exact opposite experience here!

No.

By the time I get to the end of it, I usually get to claim SME’ish status on whatever little noodley rabbit hole I go down. But it comes with some stupid fuckups to be sure.

When I tell you not to do stupid shit, there’s a fair chance I’m speaking from personal experience TBH.

velocult sucks. fuck that guy sky

TC: I still want a flat bar sweet fixie with an aero track frame and weird color deep v’s.

ORLY? Go on…

I’m from Seattle. Seems like a cool shop and stocks Winter bikes and all the other things I/we like. What’s the beef?

dig a little deeper

Rebuilding my massive tank of a fixed gear is always fourth or fifth on my list of bike projects. Get it going, bust out some sick skids on my way to picking up my kid from school.

TC I still feel obsessed with bikes but I kinda hate riding them right now. Just always back and forth to work on the same route every day. Guess I could try switching the route up, or I can ride my motorcycles more. And then I’ll probably get fatter. Depressing.

you need to switch up the route

I hear 'ya. Try working in the bike industry, especially mid-summer. Ride a bike back and forth to work, to go work on other people’s bikes, people who get paid much more than you and have luxuries like “vacations” and “time off” of work. That’ll suck the wind outta your sails.

Aw, you just need to go on some adventures. If I were down there I’d force you to do something stupid with me that involves getting lost, chased by pot-farming hillbillies, ruining your road shoes from hike-a-biking, and hopefully a little hypothermia if that’s possible in Texas. Of course all of this would be done as slowly as possible so we could savor the suffering.

[quote=Recumbentist][
you just need to go on some adventures.[/quote]

I’ve probably said this before but weirdly it was way easier to go on “adventures” in Iowa. There were like 3 or 4 parks that were an easy hour or 2 ride from town, so you could load up on beer and snacks and go pitch and tent and start fires and drink all night and then be home by like 9 or 10 the next morning. In ATX, there are a few parks that are kind of close by you have to ride all the way across town which isn’t far, but the bike routes can be pretty sketchy and Texas drivers mostly scare the shit out of me if I don’t have a trail or lane. I probably just need to sack up but I don’t wanna die

Yeah Iowa City was pretty nice for that kind of thing. I liked the park with the satellite dish next to it–can’t remember the name?

I wish I had a) rode bikes seriously and b) appreciated Iowa more when I was living there.

I hear 'ya. Try working in the bike industry, especially mid-summer. Ride a bike back and forth to work, to go work on other people’s bikes, people who get paid much more than you and have luxuries like “vacations” and “time off” of work. That’ll suck the wind outta your sails.[/quote]

oof. this one hit home real hard

Me IRL. I got super burned out on bike shit then got all flabby. That day you, me, and Jamey rode was the first ride I was excited about in a loooooong time. Daily commuting for years sucked all the fun out of bikes for me. Now that I own a car and don’t live downtown and have to drive to do anything, bikes are fun again.

Let’s do a day trip out to Pedernales before summer. It’s super mellow and real nice, plus the river access is always good.