true confessions (but mostly stealth braggin')

That rules. Also we have a local rule—not clipped in, don’t need a helmet

I chewed up a set of sl cleats to the point of oblivion in about 2 months because of riding gravel paths. I even use the plastic cleat covers, which constantly fall off. I’m gonna continue buying new cleats because I like the way these pedals feel compared to regular SPD, but this is annoying.

ugh, guys
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/the-shoes-ruse

yeah, I know.

I am also extremely stubborn.

I dunno, after owning the EC90-soled lace-up Giros (I honestly forget the model name, don’t @ me) for like 4 years and being fairly underwhelmed, I finally got a set of XT pedals and they feel like completely different shoes (in a good way).

Blundstones and VPs for touring, though. Bless up.

I’ve been wanting something like this with pins, but I really don’t like the look of that reflector.

Have had my eyes on those for a while too :slight_smile:

^ i have those. reflectors come off easy. great pedals.

Those pedals are great. I’ve got about 1500 miles on them and the grip on my sneakers is fantastic, but it’s still nice to have the option to put on some SPD shoes for wet weather or longer rides. And don’t hate on pedal reflectors - if you ride at night a lot, they are one of the best things you can do for visibility on your bike.

I think I found the shimano dx pedals on deal and I ride with and without shoes. They’re definitely better with the cleats.

You monster.[/quote]

seriously. Everyone knows the pro move is sneakers on look pedals.

If I leave the house on a bike with clipless pedals, I’m clipping in. Riding sneakers on clipless sucks, atmo.

My commuter bike has flat pedals. My “road” bike had flat pedals for a while, too, when I was occasionally commuting on it, before I gave up on riding nice tires downtown.

I really hate that feeling like my foot is wrapping around a clipless pedal and might slide off at any time.

doesn’t really happen to me on road pedals. i only do that on spd-sls and i’m just not going that hard on my commute. if there was any actual hill, it’d be different.
i leave road shoes at work also so tht i can ride on lunch without hauling shoes back and forth (fitting kit, shoes, lunch, etc in a backpack starts to get tedious).

Crank bros makes a pair of hybrid SPD/flat pedals and I don’t recommend them. Shimano ones only last about 30,000 miles of winter commuting, so if you ride more than that, you’re out of luck

[quote=aerobear]doesn’t really happen to me on road pedals. i only do that on spd-sls and i’m just not going that hard on my commute. if there was any actual hill, it’d be different.
i leave road shoes at work also so tht i can ride on lunch without hauling shoes back and forth (fitting kit, shoes, lunch, etc in a backpack starts to get tedious).[/quote]
Why not leave work shoes at work and ride in your road shoes?

For me, a bike with any saddle to bar drop feels weird to ride without being clipped in. I’m not sure what it is.

Wait, no one here rides Crank Bros, right?!

I have some crank bros pedals mostly because I am too lazy to change my cleats and they work adequately for commuting. The bushings are shot and the shoes are worn out, so not for long.

[quote=ICU81MI][quote=aerobear]doesn’t really happen to me on road pedals. i only do that on spd-sls and i’m just not going that hard on my commute. if there was any actual hill, it’d be different.
i leave road shoes at work also so tht i can ride on lunch without hauling shoes back and forth (fitting kit, shoes, lunch, etc in a backpack starts to get tedious).[/quote]
Why not leave work shoes at work and ride in your road shoes?[/quote]

1. I barely have any shoes, i am not leaving a good pair at work.
  2. then i have to walk around in road shoes and my driveway is gravel (garage is not attached)
  3. seriously. it’s not worth changing my shoes. my ride to work is 2.8 miles and i only ride my road bike if i am doing a lunch ride. it’s a waste of time to change in and out of road shoes for a 10-12 minute ride.

You’re weird. Or maybe I’m weird.

I can’t stomach riding more than a mile on flats.

Also speedplay syzr + xc shoes for roadie and rando stuff and terraduro for everything else has eliminated clickly clacking around forever and ever.

I know I just suggested spending a bunch of $$$ to fix a problem you don’t really have but whatever.