tubulars and pinch flats

http://www.tripnet.org/national.htm See: Appendix A, Appendix C. Quit arguing about who has the worst roads (Statistically, the differences between Cleveland and Chicago are negligible). The fact is everywhere the roads are getting shittier, we all deal with it. I’ve gotten maybe 2 pinch flats in the last year or so, and both were due to a combination of lower-than-normal tire pressure and careless riding. If you get pinches with proper tire pressure in situations where you’re paying attention, you need to probably A. improve your handling skills and definitely B. find a different route.

Would switching to tubulars give you fewer pinch flats? Sure.
Do you need to make the switch to avoid them? Maybe if you’re overweight.

As I see it, the bottom line is that I wouldn’t go through with the switch unless I felt I needed the increase in ride quality and decrease in weight, with the pinch protection as a benefit on the side (for road riding, anyways). If you decide to switch you’ll have to take a few small extra steps to protect against being stranded with a flat, but it seems the people who are able to fully appreciate the performance benefits generally find the trade-off to be worth it.

anyone ride the new tubless -ready clinchers?
http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Shimano-Dura-Ace-WH-7850-SL-Scandium-Road-Wheelset_W0QQitemZ320349023637QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item320349023637&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

Hello $200 tire.

Tubeless = still uses the hook and bead mounting system, am I right? Seems like a nice middle ground option, I know it’s been around longer in MTB and 'cross but I don’t know much about it. How would tubeless perform in terms of ride quality compared to tubular? More like clinchers? Also, I imagine the rims and tires are going to be heavier than tubular as well, correct?

pinch flats are easily avoided, as has been said. i haven’t had one since i started checking my pressure/inflating my tires before every ride.

fwiw I’m currently riding tubular in front (on a trispoke) and clincher on the rear.

POTHOLZ!!!

I had one pinch flat recently which came from nailing a pothole while drafting a bus. This is the second time this has happened to me. I need to stop drafting things. Also, this thread makes me want a set of tubulars.

I haven’t had a pinch flat since I’ve made an effort to keep an eye on my tire pressure. I thought my tires were pretty well pumped up but the extra 20 or so psi (110 and 120 for rear) has made a world of difference. Nashville and Memphis where I usually ride have well maintained roads but after a weekend of Atlanta’s potholes, I think I’ve put my tires through their paces.

I hit this:

like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/songswithchords/3343298834/

and didn’t flat. So if you’re getting pinch flats check the pressure with a gauge and get it up around 110 if your tires are rated for it. There are plenty of good reasons to switch to tubs; I just don’t think the occasional pinch flat is one of those reasons.

there’s nothing like rolling a tubular on a sharp turn though. they were glued perfectly and inflated properly. it was a hard turn. it hurt.

i will say tubbies for the track all the way!

I should point out that all the potholes that I posted were within one single block.
It’s a pretty typical side street for this time of year. The expansions and contractions of winter is murder on the asphalt.

Also, I’ve never ridden tubular and don’t ever see myself doing so.
When people talk about reduced weight and improved “feel” I find myself rolling my eyes.
But I don’t race.

Candice, my favorite thing about that video is that you clearly see the front rider dodge the pothole and then you go down. Like OOPS!

So, this pothole under the bridge next to my apartment has grown over the past 3 years, to the point where you have to ride in the lane going the other way to avoid it. The damage actually reaches all the way across the road now.

Some rocks.

ride faster and bunnyhop

[quote=Rusty Piton]I should point out that all the potholes that I posted were within one single block.
It’s a pretty typical side street for this time of year. The expansions and contractions of winter is murder on the asphalt.

Also, I’ve never ridden tubular and don’t ever see myself doing so.
When people talk about reduced weight and improved “feel” I find myself rolling my eyes.
But I don’t race.

Candice, my favorite thing about that video is that you clearly see the front rider dodge the pothole and then you go down. Like OOPS![/quote]
Supposedly she called out “Hole” but I didn’t hear anything. Was too busy watching the camera screen to see her swerve or the hole getting ready to eat my entire wheel. I’m really sad that the batteries came out of the camera before you could hear me scream like a little girl.

I Don’t know about road tubeless, but last night I did 4 hours of crunchy New England single track on a hardtail with Stan’s “The Crow” tires at 25 psi up and down the hills, ripping through the baby heads.

I’m now a believer! :bear: No pinch flats :bear: .No burping

The nobs are so short you might as well call them slicks but the tire grip surprisingly well. These tires are fast.

most of the trail riders i know swear by stans

thiusssssssssssssss

today i got a flat, then i replaced it, rode to my friends shop, and used their pump to get up to 120psi. i left, got another flat, and realized that the sidewall was starting to go. i bought a new tire, overdrew my credit account, had to use a tire lever to get the tire on, and pinch flatted. 3 flats, 1 day. i blame this thread.

ah you see, i flat all the time:colbert: