Upgrade Marley's Bike!

Fucking awesome, Marley.
Not sure if they’d do 11s with 2x on the front, or just push you toward the 12s 10-51t cassette.
But XTR all day if they can for it (brakes, shifty bits, and if needed cranks for 1x (their top of the line), and as folx saying GRX crank could get you the 2x.
Don’t know much about their saddles. I guess check width on the Terry and see what they have. Hopefully you could get it ahead of time and ride it to see if it works, take pics if it doesn’t. But they probably wouldn’t care as long as they can see all the other bling on there.

Don’t know nearly as much as all the above folks but want to say Hell Yeah Marley.

4 Likes

Yes.

A new frame isn’t a bad idea, if they’re providing all the components and doing the build. If that were the case (which I’ll confirm) y’all have a recommendation? Consider the following:

I’m 5’1 and fat, which are the 2 biggest limiting factors (height and weight.)

1 Like

HY to the HY!

Are you happy with the current gearing on the bike? Do any of these apply?

• wish I had a lower gear
  • wish I had a higher gear
  • wish I had more gears in between to get the perfect cadence
  • wish I had to shift the front derailleur less
  • wish I didn’t have to think about front derailleurs
1 Like

What’s the timeline like for this? I don’t want to get too much into analysis spiral, but if I were building up your bike starting from a new frame would certainly be my preference.

@igor or @EndpointBraden have anything in the stables?
Or maybe a Black Mountain Cycles monstercross disc.
Or the new Surly LHT, but only if they give you a deal on it.

What size is that Straggler?

I often wish I had more gears for climbing, especially when I’m loaded for camping.

The one I currently have that fits is a 650b x 42.

Timeline is TBD. The original plan was to film sometime in August, but we’re talking with the film makers tomorrow about COVID. I’ll have a better idea tomorrow.

Not sure about your road/off-road and flat-bar/drop-bar preferences, but the Jamis Renegade and Norco Search XR are the two off-the-shelf gravel bikes that come in tiny sizes (that aren’t horrible compromises) that I know of. They’re both designed around 650b x 40ish. The Norco specs state that it can also fit 26x2.1".

And both sell framesets.

1 Like

Search XR steel looks promising, taller front, a little more kicked back:

1 Like

only saying this because its heavily on my mind right now, be sure to ask for details on how they plan to approach filming in pandemic. productions need to come with proper, rigid, and open plans for maintaining cleanliness and space (microphones are my particular worry these days), but i’ve heard enough horror stories lately that not everyone is taking that responsibility, and you have an incredible amount of power and leverage as “the talent”. i think just bringing it up with make it happen if it isn’t already being considered.

6 Likes

Loaded touring plus gravel makes me think XT 26-36 in the front, 11-42 in the back.

XT T8000 brakes for the long levers would be nice on those bars too.

3 Likes

This is awesome, congrats!!

1 Like

Nothing to add other than HY!

1 Like

You asked Tarck to suggest a few replacement parts and we’ve already started speculating about which bikes to buy.

We’ll have designed a fully custom frame by this time tomorrow.

7 Likes

This is awesome! I have no suggestions because I quite frankly don’t know shit about shimano but I am stoked for you. You’ve certainly worked hard enough to get the recognition.

HY! It’s a goofy little thing, but the white fiberglass PRO bottle cages are my all time favorites.

s-l400

1 Like

sounds like a good opportunity to hook up with @igor and get you a fancy new frame to drape all these new parts on.

6 Likes

If you end up with new wheels don’t forget to add a Sackville brand Hub Shriner!

OMG @capn_FANCYpants you have a piolet to hang all your fancy new parts on?!?

4 Likes